Bulk soda ash discontinued?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 2(3) part Starter kit yesterday and luckily everything was contained. I’ve never mixed 2 part before so I have no basis for comparison, but the calcium chloride and soda ash mixed fast and completely in minutes. The mag was a little chunky in its bag and I had to use a tool (lightly)to break it apart to get through the funnel. As predicted, it mixed a little slower but used the float in warm water trick and it too disolved by this morning. I’m not particularly concerned about the “grade”, or whatever cost increase was involved with the older product, I know this is something my tank needs, this is a convenient solution for me and considering all the expenses that go into my rectangular black hole of joy and sorrow I will not sweat the cost increase.
My one disappointment is the plain old box it came in. No R2R logo. :( Lol

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the dosing amounts will need to be changed when switching from old to new? For instance if I'm dosing 75 ml a day can I continue that or will I have to start over. Really hate to change something that's working fine

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the dosing amounts will need to be changed when switching from old to new? For instance if I'm dosing 75 ml a day can I continue that or will I have to start over. Really hate to change something that's working fine
When I checked this using the BRS calculators it looks like dosing stays the same.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to make a gallon of solution with the new soda ash it takes 2 1/3 cup instead of 2 cups with the old. So the solution will end up the same?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to make a gallon of solution with the new soda ash it takes 2 1/3 cup instead of 2 cups with the old. So the solution will end up the same?
I believe they gave the mixing directions so that it ends up the same concentration as the old stuff. Maybe @BRS can verify that.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most interesting. I was originally told no difference....other than price and purity. I looked up their new mixing directions and sure enough:

Mixing Instructions - BRS Soda Ash Liquid Alkalinity

Fill a 1-gallon container 4/5 full of RO/DI or distilled water and then add 2 1/3 cups of BRS Pharma Soda Ash into the container. Secure the cap on the container and shake it for about 10 seconds to help start the dissolving process. Remove the cap and fill the container the rest of the way with RO/DI or distilled water. Give the container a few more shakes and then let it sit until all the salts have fully dissolved before use.

They obviously are using a more hydrated form of soda ash.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned a lot from your videos and for me that's worth paying a little bit extra if necessary.

In the business I'm in, we are expensive as hell, but our customers value the complete package we bring and gladly pay us more than the other firm down the street. Starbucks has done this, big green egg has done this. If you try to win business based on price, you will lose the business later based on price.

Keep doing a great job for the hobby as a whole Ryan and charge what you think your product deserves.

Couldn't agree more.

The new pouches mix easy, store easy, and save me time. I value my time, and I value BRS's time in everything they do to promote and further the hobby. To me, all of the above, is worth a few extra cents.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Which should lead to more consistent mixing concentrations. That is a good thing imo.

I'm not sure if I'm following you??? Why would a hydrated form provide more consistency??? I use both a "dry" soda ash (2 cups per gallon) and calcium chloride (also 2 cups per gallon).....why should I pay for water! :eek: :rolleyes:

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always had trouble with the magnesium ingredients turning into a solid block. So, I am a fan of this change in that it is individually sealed. That said, I did buy a bunch of the old stuff when it was on sale. I will be good for a while. I don't care about the higher grade material. I just like the new individual packaging.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I'm following you??? Why would a hydrated form provide more consistency??? I use both a "dry" soda ash (2 cups per gallon) and calcium chloride (also 2 cups per gallon).....why should I pay for water! :eek: :rolleyes:
Hydration impacts both the volume and the weight of most chemicals. If it is already fully hydrated then its volume and mass stay constant over its life. A dry form will absorb water when exposed to humidity in air. How much it matters with this stuff? Not sure. With some chemicals it can be very significant.

Shawn Dahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my new bulk 2 part package and couldn't be happier. It all mixes up fast, clear, and easy. I don't know how much if any benefit my corals are getting from the new product. I just like knowing I'm putting the best available product into the tank. Maybe it will benefit in the long run or maybe not but at least I know I'm putting in a more pure form of what my corals need to survive and thrive

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They obviously are using a more hydrated form of soda ash.

It might just be more fluffy, right? Not more hydrated? Unless the required mass increases, it might just have a lower bulk density. :)

Actuarious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is more a density issue. The whole what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks. Less dense material will take up more volume when compared by weight to a more dense product.

The less dense material should have a better solubility than the previous material and take less time to dissolve.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ryan, are you changing the name of the company? Maybe 5-7 Lb Supply. You can’t live up to the BULK supply company anymore! The clients that buy in bulk should pay less/ pound!!! As a retired baker, 100 lb sacks were the norm. Today it’s 25 and 50 Lb bags, because most girls can’t pick up the heavy sacks. Paying extra for extra packaging and smaller quantities isn’t cost effective for a smart consumer. If reefers with large systems can’t buy bulk, how does this change help or hurt them. It seems you didn’t take the large system reefers into account........don’t we spend more than 80% of all other customers..........because we buy quantity. More salt, more food, bigger lights, more power, more everything. Are not our maintainence invoices larger than most . Maybe I’m missing something??? But 40 lbs of “X” still costs “Y” when shipping UPS or FedX. I guess this hobby is going small......if I had to keep a small tank only, I wouldn’t be reefing!!!

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ryan, are you changing the name of the company? Maybe 5-7 Lb Supply. You can’t live up to the BULK supply company anymore! The clients that buy in bulk should pay less/ pound!!! As a retired baker, 100 lb sacks were the norm. Today it’s 25 and 50 Lb bags, because most girls can’t pick up the heavy sacks. Paying extra for extra packaging and smaller quantities isn’t cost effective for a smart consumer. If reefers with large systems can’t buy bulk, how does this change help or hurt them. It seems you didn’t take the large system reefers into account........don’t we spend more than 80% of all other customers..........because we buy quantity. More salt, more food, bigger lights, more power, more everything. Are not our maintainence invoices larger than most . Maybe I’m missing something??? But 40 lbs of “X” still costs “Y” when shipping UPS or FedX. I guess this hobby is going small......if I had to keep a small tank only, I wouldn’t be reefing!!!
I disagree, just because people have small tanks doesn't mean they aren't reefing. And most people are happy reefing with small tanks. I don't know BRS, but I imagine the 'bulk' of their customers don't have overly large tanks. Sure some people bought large packages to minimize how often they had to order, but that doesn't meant that everyone buying the 5 lb buckets had 'large tanks'. But just because you wouldn't want a small tank doesn't mean BRS should only worry about large tank setups.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Ryan already said that the larger buckets weren't economical for them after shipping, taxes, etc. So what kind of business sells bulk for no gain or a loss? Not one that stays in business very long. I'd rather them discontinue those and stay around rather than go out of business because you want 5 lb buckets. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back