Butterflyfish: is this Uronema??

BensReef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this beautiful longnose butterfly a few days ago. Been eating pretty well on mysis, but he is clearly riddled with large opaque and white parasites. I am thinking flukes and maybe ick, he has the head shakes. He also has a few raised spots that are slightly reddish, which concerns me that it could be Uronema or something else. Any input its much appreciated! I ordered Copper Power and Prazipro arriving Tuesday. Should I start with Prazi to deal with the flukes?

20240316_181455.jpg 20240316_181451.jpg 20240316_181346.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought this beautiful longnose butterfly a few days ago. Been eating pretty well on mysis, but he is clearly riddled with large opaque and white parasites. I am thinking flukes and maybe ick, he has the head shakes. He also has a few raised spots that are slightly reddish, which concerns me that it could be Uronema or something else. Any input its much appreciated! I ordered Copper Power and Prazipro arriving Tuesday. Should I start with Prazi to deal with the flukes?

20240316_181455.jpg 20240316_181451.jpg 20240316_181346.jpg
Uronema is an oval ciliated parasite, often red and/or infected including flesh shown. These bumps are bacterial and likely associated with water quality or skin irritation. You can safely treat in tank with Ruby rally Pro or keep an eye on it and if they multiply, treat in separate tank with seachem kanaplex with added aeration

OP
OP
BensReef22

BensReef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is an oval ciliated parasite, often red and/or infected including flesh shown. These bumps are bacterial and likely associated with water quality or skin irritation. You can safely treat in tank with Ruby rally Pro or keep an eye on it and if they multiply, treat in separate tank with seachem kanaplex with added aeration
Thats good to hear, thank you. He is currently in quarantine so kanaplex wouldnt be an issue. Would you advise Prazipro, Copper, or Kanaplex first, and in what order? Attached is a slightly better photo:

Attachments

• 20240316_233331.jpg
    20240316_233331.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 11

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thats good to hear, thank you. He is currently in quarantine so kanaplex wouldnt be an issue. Would you advise Prazipro, Copper, or Kanaplex first, and in what order? Attached is a slightly better photo:
Copper
Kanaplex
Prazi.
If the bumps subside, then Prazi before kanaplex

OP
OP
BensReef22

BensReef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper
Kanaplex
Prazi.
Ok got it. Only thing I was considering doing different was Prazi first to help him with those gill and body flukes, but I trust you on it so copper first.

OP
OP
BensReef22

BensReef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper
Kanaplex
Prazi.
He has stopped eating over the past 24 hours and he has become much less active. Would you suggest modifying this treatment protocol in any way because of this?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He has stopped eating over the past 24 hours and he has become much less active. Would you suggest modifying this treatment protocol in any way because of this?
Im not sure which modification you are seeking but I gave the symptoms for flukes. If you see the signs, By all means treat with prazi.
Have the bumps increased or subsided?
Can you provide a video under white light intensity of how it looks today?

OP
OP
BensReef22

BensReef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure which modification you are seeking but I gave the symptoms for flukes. If you see the signs, By all means treat with prazi.
Have the bumps increased or subsided?
Can you provide a video under white light intensity of how it looks today?
Attached video. I ordered Prazi and Copper from Brs but apparently they got delayed in shipping. Considering doing another FW dip as a stopgap but concerned the stress could do more harm than good. He's barely swimming around at all at this point poor guy...

Attachments

• 20240319_190236_1.mp4
    36.3 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Attached video. I ordered Prazi and Copper from Brs but apparently they got delayed in shipping. Considering doing another FW dip as a stopgap but concerned the stress could do more harm than good. He's barely swimming around at all at this point poor guy...
Good video. I see what appears to be mucus cones possibly mixed with ich and slight skin irritation. Be sure to remove uneaten food. Freshwater dip will likely noy address this while imposing stress on the fish. Coppersafe is the first treatment I would use at therapeutic level 2.25 with added aeration

OP
OP
BensReef22

BensReef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good video. I see what appears to be mucus cones possibly mixed with ich and slight skin irritation. Be sure to remove uneaten food. Freshwater dip will likely noy address this while imposing stress on the fish. Coppersafe is the first treatment I would use at therapeutic level 2.25 with added aeration
Ok got it, thank you. I have been feeding brine quite heavily, wondering if water quality is an issue. Il do another 30% change tonight. Will start copper as soon as it arrives.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok got it, thank you. I have been feeding brine quite heavily, wondering if water quality is an issue. Il do another 30% change tonight. Will start copper as soon as it arrives.
needs more than brine shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
chopped clams
small plankton

OP
OP
BensReef22

BensReef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
needs more than brine shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
chopped clams
small plankton
Gotcha, thanks for the advice! I have some frozen scallops and shrimp il try chopping up tomorrow, and can get clams easily. Will check for plankton and frenzy next time I can make it down to the closest shop.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sadly he passed away today before any of the meds arrived. Thank you for your help, sorry it didnt work out.
So sorry to hear . Keep those meds on hand for future introductions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back