Calcium Reactor Media

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the seachem large media mic with reborn. Pretty stable but i don’t have much corals after the restart.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small bucket of it. Will use it next time I have to fill up. Seachem makes great products. Usually very thought out.
Let me know... im curious... says it contains potassium and strontium... im not too sure about this, good/bad? Is this different than reborn? Have no clue after reading that on the bucket... I thought calcium reactor media did not dose trace elements... is this a man made media? These are all things I am curious about... might reach out to Seachem and ask them... either way, let me know what you think after you use it man...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the seachem large media mic with reborn. Pretty stable but i don’t have much corals after the restart.

What's is Seachem's starting melting point compared to Reborn's?

Reborn will start melting at about an ph of 7.4 to 7.3

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not found a single soul that has actually used this media... hahahaha! Its crazy... It actually looks like a good product as well... im just gonna have to test it out I guess

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's is Seachem's starting melting point compared to Reborn's?

Reborn will start melting at about an ph of 7.4 to 7.3
The seachem melts at a lower ph for sure as i notice the reborn going away more.

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would sure be nice if Two Little Fishes would update their suppliers; more importantly, its customers to exactly what the situation is, and why this product is still unavailable.
To BRS's credit, they have been fielding questions concerning this issue on Two Little Fishes
behalf.
I've never met Julian Sprung, but i'm beginning to formulate a "less than" desirable opinion
about him and his company.
Accountability and effective communication is key in any relationship.
Julian Sprung, your failing at both.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would sure be nice if Two Little Fishes would update their suppliers; more importantly, its customers to exactly what the situation is, and why this product is still unavailable.
To BRS's credit, they have been fielding questions concerning this issue on Two Little Fishes
behalf.
I've never met Julian Sprung, but i'm beginning to formulate a "less than" desirable opinion
about him and his company.
Accountability and effective communication is key in any relationship.
Julian Sprung, your failing at both.

Sorry guys, I wish we had a more concrete answer to give as far as an ETA goes :(

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, I wish we had a more concrete answer to give as far as an ETA goes :(
I saw you started offering Triton media in bulk. I'm a bit shocked to see a recommended pH in the reactor of 6.0 to 6.2. Can you verify those numbers are correct?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you started offering Triton media in bulk. I'm a bit shocked to see a recommended pH in the reactor of 6.0 to 6.2. Can you verify those numbers are correct?

The Triton media is a lot more dense and made from a different material than most calcium reactor medias on the market today, so it does require a lower pH inside of the calcium reactor. Those 6.0-6.2 pH numbers you referenced are correct.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Triton media is a lot more dense and made from a different material than most calcium reactor medias on the market today, so it does require a lower pH inside of the calcium reactor. Those 6.0-6.2 pH numbers you referenced are correct.

26427.png

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to Julian on the TLF Support line a couple weeks ago before the Covid craziness. He informed me that the media will come back and it is regulatory hurtles that are stopping the supply. Because Reborn is real coral media TLF cannot take whatever they want and they are waiting for the proper permits to be accepted before collecting more material.

Robert@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure thing! I actually talked to Joe Caparatta about this last week because I was a bit concerned about this myself when reading about the CaRx media.

The Triton media is pure marble which is still CaCO3, it just has a different crystal structure that is not as porous as Limestone or coral skeletons. For this reason, it needs a bit lower pH to melt and enrich the water. The good news is the media will not turn to mush so you don't have to worry about getting close to maximum CO2 concentration or anything. It is said to run with very consistent level of calcium and carbonates, will last longer and requires less maintenance compared to other media.

So to answer your question, yes, the 6.0 pH level is correct and is required for this media to work properly.

I am excited to give it a try myself on this new tank build, I am very curious to see how the 6.0 effluent solution affects my tank. I imagine a secondary de-gas chamber is ideal in this case.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing! I actually talked to Joe Caparatta about this last week because I was a bit concerned about this myself when reading about the CaRx media.

The Triton media is pure marble which is still CaCO3, it just has a different crystal structure that is not as porous as Limestone or coral skeletons. For this reason, it needs a bit lower pH to melt and enrich the water. The good news is the media will not turn to mush so you don't have to worry about getting close to maximum CO2 concentration or anything. It is said to run with very consistent level of calcium and carbonates, will last longer and requires less maintenance compared to other media.

So to answer your question, yes, the 6.0 pH level is correct and is required for this media to work properly.

I am excited to give it a try myself on this new tank build, I am very curious to see how the 6.0 effluent solution affects my tank. I imagine a secondary de-gas chamber is ideal in this case.
I think this may cause issues with some calcium reactors. Injecting enough CO2 to drop pH that low could cause the pump to cavitate. I know you guys at BRS are very good about testing products before offering them for sale. I suspect you were trying to find a bulk product to offer as quickly as possible with this one. I'm curious if you guys were able to try it out in a CaRx or 2?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back