Calibrating Hanna alkalinity DKH checker

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my calibration fluid for my Hanna dkh checker today from BRS. Can anyone explain how it's meant to be used or what the conversion is. The directions are clear on its use, but it is in ppm and says the results must be between 90-110ppm at 25c. I got a reading of 5.7dkh. Thanks for your help.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice if they had a standard in the range where most people actually keep their tanks. Are you interested in maintaining your alk at 5.6 dKH?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd almost agree, if it weren't for their specific design at work here. They make pretty interesting instruments from what I've seen, so I'm going to take their instructions with no grain of salt and follow them implicitly. I've gained accuracy with these devices with experience and patience. So don't be hard on yourself, or the tests because something seems awry. You'll figure it out, I promise. [emoji6]

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd almost agree, if it weren't for their specific design at work here. They make pretty interesting instruments from what I've seen, so I'm going to take their instructions with no grain of salt and follow them implicitly. I've gained accuracy with these devices with experience and patience. So don't be hard on yourself, or the tests because something seems awry. You'll figure it out, I promise. [emoji6]

Not being hard on myself. I really like the simplicity speed and accuracy of this checker. It's just peace of mind to be able to validate the readings I'm getting are accurate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like to know what the standard actually is and how they arrive at that number.

Unfortunately, I don't always trust manufacturers to fully know how their own products work, since some clearly do not.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's ask them. I'll compose an email today explaining our situation and see what their response is. [emoji851]

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a screenshot of the message I've sent to their customer support address. Let's cross our fingers [emoji111]️[emoji869]
IMG_0139.JPG

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna alkalinity checker, but just how does one calibrate it?

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there is no way to calibrate the checker.

Your right, however there are standard solutions that Hanna produces which allow the user to make sure the checkers are with reading within an acceptable range of accuracy. Which effectively is calibrating the checker. If the readings are not within those reaches I believe Hanna will fix the checker for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back