Can fish recover from worms without treatment?

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does garlic actually boost immunity? I thought it was just supposed to increase appetite for sick fish. I thought I read somewhere that long term garlic feeding leads to other health issues with fish. I can’t remember, maybe liver? Do correct me if I’m wrong as I am still learning everyday

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does garlic actually boost immunity? I thought it was just supposed to increase appetite for sick fish. I thought I read somewhere that long term garlic feeding leads to other health issues with fish. I can’t remember, maybe liver? Do correct me if I’m wrong as I am still learning everyday
Garlic increases feeding response which helps build immune system IMO.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are pigs, I don’t think they need anything to make them eat more lol. I used to put a few drops in every bottle of frozen food I mixed up because I thought it was supposed to be good for them but I read somewhere it wasn’t so I stopped. Figured I would reserve it for when someone doesn’t want to eat In quarantine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High doses of allicin (from garlic) can cause liver damage. I don't think that any aquarium formulations are high enough to do that though.

My problem with garlic is that people tend to use it as a mediation, not as a tonic. For example; they have a fish that isn't eating due to some issue (disease, improper diet, etc.) and they try to entice it with garlic - rarely works, and the question is always, if it does work, was it just circumstantial? Using garlic as an immunity builder to prevent disease is one thing, but then people over extrapolate that and try to use it as a cure for active disease.

Jay

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back