Can I put a jellyfish in my reef tank ?!

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see price tags but... I have to justify ito my family...
Not really, but I feel like I do ...
if I don’t buy Girl Scout cookies...
(They say) She can afford thousands for a fish tank, but not a $10 box of cookies. Lol
I can’t win/
Anyway, it hasn’t stopped me yet!
Thanks, now I want thin mints ;Joyful

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even though I don't want to see it actually happen, I sometimes wish fish were just as expensive as buying a puppy. People treat fish like a possession instead of a pet and I think that's tied to price. "Oh I killed another clown? Well, it was only $20 so I'll just get another"
I don't like that either. It's painful. We take these animals in to care for them, and sadly, they are at our mercy. There are some mean fish that will kill their tank mates. We have to make a choice, re-home them or let them be destructive.

I am not even going to entertain the OP on the thought of keeping a jelly in a box aquarium. You can't tell him otherwise anyhow.
I don’t see price tags but... I have to justify ito my family...
Not really, but I feel like I do ...
if I don’t buy Girl Scout cookies...
(They say) She can afford thousands for a fish tank, but not a $10 box of cookies. Lol
I can’t win/
Anyway, it hasn’t stopped me yet!
You don't need to justify yourself. Don't be a people pleaser.
I have lost many torches and I wont be buying anymore from vendors. 4 were DoA and 1 lived for 2 months and turned into jelly. I did all I could to save it. I failed. I may just be triggered by the word torch... And all these coral investors...

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I don't want to see it actually happen, I sometimes wish fish were just as expensive as buying a puppy. People treat fish like a possession instead of a pet and I think that's tied to price. "Oh I killed another clown? Well, it was only $20 so I'll just get another"
Mine are, I think
I love all of mine, and it’s not about the money...
I think you misunderstood what I meant...
I absolutely love everything I have. I’m not made of money and other people don’t always agree with what I sacrifice to keep up. My tank might be worth more than my house... but, I’ve not ate out for 2 weeks to get a coral/chalice that I had to have. But, I know what you mean. I just not that, either ... I love ❤️ my fish and coral babies! And, I enjoy them... they are something to look forward to... after a really difficult time (at the hospital/work.)

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are, I think
I love all of mine, and it’s not about the money...
I absolutely love everything I have. I’m not made of money and other people don’t always agree with what I sacrifice to keep up. My tank might be worth more than my house... but, I’ve not ate out for 2 weeks to get a coral/chalice that I had to have. But, I know what you mean. I just not that, either ... I love ❤️ my fish and coral babies! And, I enjoy them... they are something to look forward to... after a really difficult time (at the hospital/work.)
Oh I wasn't directing my comment towards you at all, just a general observation!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never, let someone change how you see things. Sometimes, we have to explain the big picture. Your family has you saying the wrong words. It's ok :) say what you feel, not what you think people want to hear.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like that either. It's painful. We take these animals in to care for them, and sadly, they are at our mercy. There are some mean fish that will kill their tank mates. We have to make a choice, re-home them or let them be destructive.

I am not even going to entertain the OP on the thought of keeping a jelly in a box aquarium. You can't tell him otherwise anyhow.

You don't need to justify yourself. Don't be a people pleaser.
I have lost many torches and I wont be buying anymore from vendors. 4 were DoA and 1 lived for 2 months and turned into jelly. I did all I could to save it. I failed. I may just be triggered by the word torch... And all these coral investors...
It’s just a challenge...but, worth it! I can’t do Goni’s, but... I won’t be convinced that they are dead... I keep them on a frag rack in the back/hoping for a miracle! Lol

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s just a challenge...but, worth it! I can’t do Goni’s, but... I won’t be convinced that they are dead... I keep them on a frag rack in the back/hoping for a miracle! Lol
This one bounced from the dead 5 times. If you see traces of the flesh, they can return. Gonis are my favorite to care for. They really don't like pristine waters.
goni small.jpg

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I wasn't directing my comment towards you at all, just a general observation!
I appreciate it... I thought the same thing when I read the $20 jellyfish comment...
On the flip... I was thinking... I wish I could lose random $20s and not care. That must be nice!
I think... in a the long run... you have to love this hobby, to stay. It weeds out the amateurs, but... I’m first to say... I’m always learning. But, I’m also ... stubborn and refuse to give up!

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree and I’m very thankful for people (on here.) Usually, I’m the one that comes on here in sheer distress... something has went wrong/got sick/dying ... I love my fish, corals, etc..., and I’m freaking out because the fish cost $350+, my torch..$400... and, not doing well...WHAT? And, I look stupid, to the rest of my family, who say, “it’s not a hobby, it’s a habit!” Ugghh! Reef2Reef has saved the day, more than once! And, I (greatly) appreciate it! Kiss, kiss... whatever... they deserve it... got me out of a bunch of jams!
u look far from crazy here and ppl like you are reason I enjoy giving advice to others and spend so much time doing so

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one bounced from the dead 5 times. If you see traces of the flesh, they can return. Gonis are my favorite to care for. They really don't like pristine waters.
goni small.jpg
Oh wow! It’s beautiful! There’s hope! I think it might have some flesh. But, no extension in the stalk part. I’m trying something called Goni power/food. I’m not sure if it’s doing anything. Do you feed yours?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow! It’s beautiful! There’s hope! I think it might have some flesh. But, no extension in the stalk part. I’m trying something called Goni power/food. I’m not sure if it’s doing anything. Do you feed yours?
reef roids, water flow off and broadcast it around the goni's. I have 3 goni's and 1 buddling I am caring for. I dose acropower now for a month. Seems to really have helped the recovery. It used to be very long. It is now 1/3 of it's original length. This was back in October of 2020.

Attachments

• goni happy.jpg
    goni happy.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 34

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef roids, water flow off and broadcast it around the goni's. I have 3 goni's and 1 buddling I am caring for. I dose acropower now for a month. Seems to really have helped the recovery. It used to be very long. It is now 1/3 of it's original length. This was back in October of 2020.
i feel like reef roids brings almost anything back from the blink of death.. only issue is it can cause a bad algae outbreak if overused.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something we need to remember is everyone views reefing differently and has different backgrounds. Some use this hobby as a business (I personally try to sell corals in my free time to afford the hobby), some use it to cope/ relax, and others simply want to learn more and are just fascinated with the life within. And it obviously isn’t as black and white as I make it out to seem- it can be a little bit of all 3, or plenty of other reasons that bring us together. We all have passion for these animals though, which can result in heated debates. I honestly love this community so much, because no one within 20 miles of me know what a Zoa is, and this gives me an outlet to share experiences with others who have the same passion.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel like reef roids brings almost anything back from the blink of death.. only issue is it can cause a bad algae outbreak if overused.
I agree it’s like phyto in that way, it needs to be balanced into your nutrients import/export methods or spike spike spikes!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is cool/good to know. They are awesome, to look at...
I’ve heard of them, read about them, but... only lucky enough to see 1 (the upside down kind) once, and it was at the Georgia Aquarium. They have an impressive jellyfish (different kinds) display ... worth the trip! I love them, but I know my limits... couldn’t keep one :)
Glad you enjoyed displays. I volunteered in jelly laboratory at GAQ where we raised several species. As mentioned, most jellies need a circular tank, regular feeding of enriched naups and daily water changes, etc. Not suitable for "home" care really and I assume OP has figured that out.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy goes a long way. If you aren't crazy or mad now. This hobby will drive you there.
Agree, a good crazy... it’s so awesome when something goes right. That’s not something I can put into words. But, it takes one of us, to know, what I mean. I’ve got some of the reef rhoids, I’ll try that. I’ll have to get some acropower. Mine (embarrassed to say) have almost disintegrated and are brown. I tried changing light, then flow. But, neither helped. I love the way they look when they are healthy, but I can’t seem to maintain it. My levels seem pretty consistent and within range. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I put them in the back, low light, low flow. They could (possibly) be dead. At this point, it may not be a great strategy but, .... sometimes when I leave stuff alone, it does better. I will try feeding the reef rhoids. Thanks! It’s worth a try :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll have to get some acropower.
Before you do this, there is a lot of other supplements. Some have seen great success with the AB+ I would really research into this. There are also DiY aminoacid recipes.

Edit: there is never anything wrong with asking for advice or how people successfully keep any coral. Someone will talk. A build thread would also help others give advice.

Also another poster did post this recipe.

You could try mixing your own diy bcaa formula.
5g bcaa (unflavoured, no additives)
125 ml vinegar
375 ml ro water
It should work, I am waiting to use up my acropower to compare results.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 45 56.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back