Can I test for nitrate in freshly mixed saltwater as a "control" to make sure my test kit is working properly?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got some new hanna checkers today and tested high range nitrate. The result was too high to read, and the instructions say to dilute it if that happens. I cut the sample in half and added more water, same result. After a second halving I got 52! This result seems ridiculous as I'd expect everything to be dead or dying, but corals are growing and no fish or invert signs of stress at all. I haven't tested nitrate in a while but never got very high readings before and haven't changed or added anything in in this tank in a looong time. Can I test freshly mixed water (RO/DI + salt mix) and expect to get 0 to make sure the unit/reagent aren't the problem here?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got some new hanna checkers today and tested high range nitrate. The result was too high to read, and the instructions say to dilute it if that happens. I cut the sample in half and added more water, same result. After a second halving I got 52! This result seems ridiculous as I'd expect everything to be dead or dying, but corals are growing and no fish or invert signs of stress at all. I haven't tested nitrate in a while but never got very high readings before and haven't changed or added anything in in this tank in a looong time. Can I test freshly mixed water (RO/DI + salt mix) and expect to get 0 to make sure the unit/reagent aren't the problem here?

You can do that for nitrate, but not ammonia. Many sea salts have trace ammonia as a contaminant in them (up to around 0.25 ppm). That should not affect y9our nitrate test though.

Jay

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, Hanna does make a calibration set so you verify you Hanna checker is working correctly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, Hanna does make a calibration set so you verify you Hanna checker is working correctly.

Unfortunately, those are not true standards. All they check is the electronics. It does not ensure the reagents or method used are OK.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back