Can Macroalgae be dipped in Coral Rx for pest

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not dip macro in any coral dip including CoralRX. Just like fish and corals, you should be quarantining the macro. More at risk of problems from getting macro from a reefer, and LFS are not any better. Best place to purchase macro is from @AlgaeBarn. Algae barn isn't a 100% problem free but extremely close to it!

OP
OP
R

rob myers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not dip macro in any coral dip including CoralRX. Just like fish and corals, you should be quarantining the macro. More at risk of problems from getting macro from a reefer, and LFS are not any better. Best place to purchase macro is from @AlgaeBarn. Algae barn isn't a 100% problem free but extremely close to it!
Thanks I was going to quarantine just like to dip everything I can do you think it could be fresh water dipped

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks I was going to quarantine just like to dip everything I can do you think it could be fresh water dipped
We typically recommend NOT to freshwater dip. Can you tell me which macroalgae you are working with here?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining macro is pretty easy.

First buy from a reliable source. AlgaeBarn is a good one. I've bought their chaeto and sea lettuce and it has been very clean and pest free.
QT in a 5 gallon bucket with freshly mixed saltwater or first choice is tank water if parasite free, for 16 days. Change out the water every couple of days. Run a powerhead, heater, and small light.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minions-welcome_orig.jpg

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We typically recommend NOT to freshwater dip. Can you tell me which macroalgae you are working with here?
Can you help me understand why chaeto can't be dipped in freshwater, or any chemical? Besides quarantining, how can pests be removed from chaeto without dipping?

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining macro is pretty easy.

First buy from a reliable source. AlgaeBarn is a good one. I've bought their chaeto and sea lettuce and it has been very clean and pest free.
QT in a 5 gallon bucket with freshly mixed saltwater or first choice is tank water if parasite free, for 16 days. Change out the water every couple of days. Run a powerhead, heater, and small light.
What can you do if the chaeto is not pest free, then can you dip it and if so what products?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you help me understand why chaeto can't be dipped in freshwater, or any chemical? Besides quarantining, how can pests be removed from chaeto without dipping?
RO water can sometimes be more harmful than good when dipping macroalgae. Although there are several people that do it without any issues :) Your best best would be to QT in a tank by itself for 4-8 weeks and monitor it. Some hobbyist will comb through it before the QT and remove things they physically see to speed up the process.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back