Can two different Triggers live happily together

Saltwater Dreamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, still a newbie here but an avid reader and learning soooo much! Thanks so much to everyone for their great stories and the help you provide to all of us newbies in particular.

My questions relate to integrating two Triggers in the one 200 litre (not very big) tank. In this tank I already have Eric the snowflake eel; Bugs the two-barred rabbit fish; Priscilla the lipstick tang and Annie Oakley, a red-toothed Trigger. Plenty of rock work, a log and hiding places for all. Not that they use them as all (except Eric when he needs a break from all the activity). It is a happy little aquarium which provides me (and the tank residents) lots of fun and relaxation.

I had ordered from another fish store (not my lfs as they weren't getting much new stock) a male blue throated trigger - this was around 6 months ago. About 2 months ago I was in my lfs, emptying my life savings into the store as I always do, and spotted Annie. She has been a fantastic addition to the tank - as long as you don't count how she kept taking Eric's food off the skewer, but she seems to get along with everyone, including trying a bit of seaweed now and then even though it's obvious it's not her preference. Basically if I hold out anything in the tank, she is in like Flynn devouring it. Except now I have to hand feed Eric (I kinda like doing that and he seems cool with it) while fending off Annie's acrobatic diving attempts to grab the fish/prawn. My problem now is the other fish store just called me to say the BTT I had ordered is now there.

I have two questions - first, is my tank large enough to take on another trigger without causing stress to everyone in there? And two - can two triggers happily co-exist? Annie is still very small. Pic below of the fish fam for interest - only part of the tank visible :)

IMG_2988.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue throat itself should be in a 125g tank or larger. You'll have issues without even thinking of the aggression with adding another.

OP
OP
Saltwater Dreamer

Saltwater Dreamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspected as much. The fish store was looking into it but I wanted some more independent views. The tank is very happy right now and, while I save my pennies looking to buy the dream tank, I might just be left dreaming...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back