Can you dip plate coral in peroxide?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3275.jpeg
Would this recovering plate coral die if I dip it in peroxide solution to get this hair alage off? You can see how bad it is on the other plug I am also going to dip

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not lost any yet from peroxide dipping, but I only did it once... also but yours is looking quite rough. I would trim around the edges as well with a bandsaw, otherwise the algae will just grow back. They shatter quite easily so be careful. How long has it been like this? Honestly if I were you i would cut it in half or quarters and hope for the best, if the recession hasn't stop. Otherwise its likely it will recede all the way.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not lost any yet from peroxide dipping, but I only did it once... also but yours is looking quite rough. I would trim around the edges as well with a bandsaw, otherwise the algae will just grow back. They shatter quite easily so be careful. How long has it been like this? Honestly if I were you i would cut it in half or quarters and hope for the best, if the recession hasn't stop. Otherwise its likely it will recede all the way.
This. I would trim off the dead skeleton and then quarter it, keeping my fingers crossed. Given its condition, if you do dip it, I would do half the reccomended dose for fungiids. So, 50ml/l.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was nothing but a white skeleton and then I put it in the corner of my 20gal tank with no light and no flow, and been about 2-3 months and it is now coming back to what it is. I just don't know if the algae on its skeleton will prevent it from growing more or if I should just leave it.

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was nothing but a white skeleton and then I put it in the corner of my 20gal tank with no light and no flow, and been about 2-3 months and it is now coming back to what it is. I just don't know if the algae on its skeleton will prevent it from growing more or if I should just leave it.
Thats good, in that case you should trim it, the algae will just grow back in and irritate it, if you don't trim, and Im guessing that fungia dont grow over their skeleton. Peroxide is very rough on corals too so it should be done as a last resort sort of thing. Though a word of caution, if you dont have a band saw, I would try to look for one, Ive broken too many fungia with the bone clipper or whatever they are call.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good, in that case you should trim it, the algae will just grow back in and irritate it, if you don't trim, and Im guessing that fungia dont grow over their skeleton. Peroxide is very rough on corals too so it should be done as a last resort sort of thing. Though a word of caution, if you dont have a band saw, I would try to look for one, Ive broken too many fungia with the bone clipper or whatever they are call.
I do not have a band saw, and not to many friend in the hobby yet so I will just leave it and see what happens over time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back