Candy Cane coral not happy?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this candy cane coral for over a week now. Ever scone I added it it has looked like this. Is this normal? Anything I should do?

IMG_1878.jpeg

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a one off photo the only thing I can sort of see/tell is that the tissue is slightly retracted which would usually make me think it is in too much flow or light. If it is in a high flow area move it some where with less direct flow. Since it is on your sand bed I'm going to go with it probably doesn't get too intense of a light and just needs more time to adjust to your lights (it can take a few weeks for corals to adjust to even the smallest of light setting changes).

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a one off photo the only thing I can sort of see/tell is that the tissue is slightly retracted which would usually make me think it is in too much flow or light. If it is in a high flow area move it some where with less direct flow. Since it is on your sand bed I'm going to go with it probably doesn't get too intense of a light and just needs more time to adjust to your lights (it can take a few weeks for corals to adjust to even the smallest of light setting changes).
Thanks for responding. I might move it if the flow is too high. I didn’t know it took weeks for some corals to accumulate. Good to know. Thanks

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The center shouldn't expand much if at all, the outer ring might get a little more "puffy" but that's about it - part of why I said it's hard to tell in your photo.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The center shouldn't expand much if at all, the outer ring might get a little more "puffy" but that's about it - part of why I said it's hard to tell in your photo.
Oh ok. I thought it would look like this. But the outer ring stays brown?

Attachments

• IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Go slow, let it grow" is a pretty good saying.

I see you have posted the same question on another thread.

Be patient and let things get acclimated. Intervention with every little situation seems that a particular situation only worsens. Leave things be.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. I thought it would look like this. But the outer ring stays brown?
Yes, but if you'll notice the inner green is more recessed inside the outer ring - which is the striped ring on yours.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as stated previously, the coral may 'inflate' slightly and look more full. But so long as tissue is not retracting, or you notice that the skeleton begins to protrude through its tissue, you are ok. Usually med light, med/low flow is ok. You can feed them as well, crushed mysis or brine works. Usually if you feed your fish, the coral will exhibit a feeding response, and that is best time to feed. Or at night when its feeding tentacles are out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as stated previously, the coral may 'inflate' slightly and look more full. But so long as tissue is not retracting, or you notice that the skeleton begins to protrude through its tissue, you are ok. Usually med light, med/low flow is ok. You can feed them as well, crushed mysis or brine works. Usually if you feed your fish, the coral will exhibit a feeding response, and that is best time to feed. Or at night when its feeding tentacles are out.
Thanks for the information. This was my fault for not knowing much about this type of coral. I didn’t know that some are striped candy cane corals. Thanks

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back