Can't bring down my phospates

mrjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a tank that's about 1 1/2 years old... Phosphates have ALWAYS been an issue for me... I've tried everything I can but at this point I'm just gonna throw in the towel on controlling it... I have a 25 IM lagoon that I bought used with the rocks pictured.. I can't seem to get it down past .5... I sue instant ocean reef crystals... I feed tdo in the morning and ROE in the evening.. I try not to be heavy handed with feeding... I generally do a 20% water change every tow weeks which helps for awhile... So i'm thinking the only thing I can do at this point is to slowly replace the rock and try to get as many zoa's as I can on the new rock... thoughts???
20231028_101037.jpg

thanks....

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a tank that's about 1 1/2 years old... Phosphates have ALWAYS been an issue for me... I've tried everything I can but at this point I'm just gonna throw in the towel on controlling it... I have a 25 IM lagoon that I bought used with the rocks pictured.. I can't seem to get it down past .5... I sue instant ocean reef crystals... I feed tdo in the morning and ROE in the evening.. I try not to be heavy handed with feeding... I generally do a 20% water change every tow weeks which helps for awhile... So i'm thinking the only thing I can do at this point is to slowly replace the rock and try to get as many zoa's as I can on the new rock... thoughts???
20231028_101037.jpg

thanks....
Do you think it’s causing any problems at 0.5?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you started with dry white rocks, they might be the source that's leaching out phosphate. If this is the case, then the only solution IMO is rowaphos or something similar. It took me about 2.5 years to suck the all phosphate out of my tank.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily control it, but why would you want to? It’s not causing any issues. Zoanthids are perfect corals for high phosphate environments!

This incredible tank has phosphate between 0.6ppm-0.92ppm, and it’s been even higher in the past!

Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 1.01.10 PM.png

10/6 is where I started Lanth dosing again, with an empty auto feeder on the main display. 10/10 fed 80 g frozen foods. 10/11 was 14g feeding of coral with pellets. 10/12 I refilled auto feeder on main display.

FTS from 9/21, looks pretty much the same now.
Fts_sept_21_2023.jpg

FTS from the other morning with the backlight on
FTS_october_2023.jpg

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m changing the way I feed as I am certain this is my reason for needing to have multiple control methods (GFO, Fuge and Phosphate E). I’ve simply been putting frozen food in my feeder and letting it defrost and float out in the tank. I have started rinsing the heck out of it before I feed.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You can easily control it, but why would you want to? It’s not causing any issues. Zoanthids are perfect corals for high phosphate environments!

This incredible tank has phosphate between 0.6ppm-0.92ppm, and it’s been even higher in the past!
Gorgeous. When you feed frozen, do you defrost/rinse?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse your food and use about a tablespoon and a half of rowaphos in a bag. Let it get good flow through it. Phosphates will be lowered within a week. Don't let them bottom out if you can help it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back