OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Kinda hard to write them off as being inadequate considering you have maybe a coral or two?
It's hard balancing unrelated features, spread, color, growth, style. At this point the benefit isn't great than the cost to change.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard balancing unrelated features, spread, color, growth, style. At this point the benefit isn't great than the cost to change.
Balancing features, style and growth is almost absurd to me. It would be nice to get the style you want and the growth you need. But it also takes educating those to understand what type of LED fit with what your needs are. For instance the Orphek Atlantic V3 looks like a really expensive chinese black box. But it's form factor is made for SPS growth and creating beautiful growth at that. In that aspect that ugly V3 might just be really pretty.

To me it's crazy to hear someone wanting Ecotech radions but would rather have T5's... those two styles are completely different and are for different demands.

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the razor on my mixed reef and love it. SPS do just fine. Sometimes I think it's the frequent switching of lighting or intensity adjustments causing the real issue for so many people. We think we acclimate our corals to new lighting over the course of a few weeks, but I think the process is more on the order of months...many months. (Anyone who gardens knows a light colored plant growing in full sun does not instantly darken when you move it to shade; it takes time time time to adjust)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a5de575dc34ca3d33d6c3270dc09d9cd.jpg
a894059fc156993c061aeff578174496.jpg

Thought I would show what MH and T5's do. [emoji3]

Paul russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at ai prime led it a nice light and u don't need a remote control u use your cell phone. I love my 2 lights

Viperdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have radions on my 93 cube that is just over a year old. I honestly don't know if I like them. They have definitely changed the colors of many corals I added. But the options with them and the controlability are great.
The shimmer is awesome but the corals looked better in my old tank under T5s. I have looked at a combo light, specifically the Pacific Sun Hyperion. Does anyone have experience with the Pacific Sun Hyperion?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is s beautiful tank Reefwiser!
I have always loved metal halides and T5's.
Though I've grown some fairly large sps colonies under LED's as well.

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use led/T5s both and have good growth with all types of corals. I started out with just full spectrum LED, tank was healthy but not very much growth, added 2 actinic T5s and everything has really taken off! Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend recommended a floating hood, which would allow to hide t5s and have the razor vent freely. Sounds like a good way to expand the color to my liking.

timfountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Ocean Revive arctic t247's. I have 3 of them over a 92 Gallon Red Sea Reefer running 65% Blue &45 White and my coral growth is amazing. Having had many other setups with MH, T5's etc. I love the low the power consumption, lack of noticeable dimming (I know over time they do lose efficiency) and the color rendition. LED's for me!

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leds vs MH ( for example) according to a published graph on zooxanthellae light absorption spectrums. There are AT LEAST 30 used by corals. Most or all ( even more, depending on the bulb) are present to one degree or another in MH. A LED unit usually has 6-10 color spectrums. So on paper, there is no comparison, no debate, no questioning on which light is more appropriate for coral health/growth. I rarely post in forums anymore but instead exchange with scientists, writers and experts. If any of you guys also do so, you would agree 5 pages on this topic is unnecessary. Can LED grow SPS= yes! Equally to MH or even T5= no, not yet. Keep in mind everyone's gorgeous frags under LED, see any 15" colony's grown from a 2" frag under LED alone?

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60d14374281f413eeba3020fb59755d8.jpg

Several 15" SPS colonies grown from 3/4" frags under LEDs. Was a MH/T5 guy for years. MH/VHO before that. I get as good growth with better color development now. I'll never go back.

For me the cost to run t5 or MH isn't justified. For others it may be.

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the appeal of leds is the "look" and color pop that goes with, I started with kessils and couldnt keep bta's alive to save my life, added t5's and presto, says something was missing to me. Bought a used fairly inexpensive current outer orbit fixture with 4 ati t5 bulbs and 2 phoenix 150w halides and couldnt be happier now, turn the lights on and I know the corals are getting the right light over my standard 120g. dont have to worry about programming. To get the sunrise/sunset and color pop back I'm just gonna get two kessil a80's for effect. Just bought a lot of coral in my tank that was lit by two a360 kessils and you can see that birdsnest colony is all but bleached in the middle from the previous lighting. Starting to regain some color inside now though.

IMG_0640.JPG

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back