Carbon and GFO question

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run both in the same media bag in my 29 gallon biocube ?if so how much gfo? And when to change it out?

Thanks , Jack

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically people don't run them together because carbon needs to be switched out more frequently than GFO does. I change my carbon every 2 weeks and when I ran GFO every 2 months or so. Sorry, not sure on how much you should use.

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok gfo helps with algae right? What would be some other helpers with the algae problems? my turbos arnt doing jacksquat!

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO removes phosphates from the water which should reduce algae. Honestly, I'd suggest more frequent water changes assuming you're using RODI water.

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah because my tank has been up for a month iv only done 2 water changes two Saturdays ago 1 gallon this past Saturday 3 gallons! To little?

extremehobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would buy a gfo reactor man its easy to mod your bio cube with it and it will cure your algae problem really fast carbon you can put in a bag in one of the chambers but carbon wont cut down the algae just takes care of the unwanted toxins and chemicals.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup sounds pretty new and algae outbreaks are just part of the process of setting up a new tank. Eventually GFO may not be a bad option but for now I'd wait it out and see what happens when the tank is more mature.

BTW, good luck with that storm that's a brewin!

extremehobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope not expensive i got mine for 30 and sounds like hair algae probably form feeding alot i only feed my fish every other day

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feed a little once a day. If I go every other day the chalk basslet looks like he's/she is anorexic

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would go with gfo. You can use it in a bag and bulk reef supply sells cheap. Think it's like 1 oz per 4 gallons or something like that, it comes with directions so follow those and I would change about 5 every week to get the algae under control

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started thus past saturday and I'm doing 3 gallons weekly! Getting a tunze 9002 towards the end of the month also.

DrTrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the "ChemiPure Elite" is in fact an activated carbon product which contains a bit of GFO as well. It comes in some nice little prepackaged bags which are the perfect size to put in one of the back chambers of your BC29. I use ChemiPure elite along with Purigen in an InTank media rack in Chamber 2 of my BC14 and it seems to work pretty well.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Chemi Pure elite in my 29gallon biocube and did 5 gallon water changes a week. Everything looked great in that tank.

LPS tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bulk reef supply makes a gfo and carbon reactor for $59, it does both of them in 2 diff chambers, think it would work great and cheap to boot

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back