Carbon and GFO question

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved from a BrS dual reactor to two single ones, that way I can run my GFO when I need, and then turn it off if needed, all the while running my carbon 24/7. I also moved from running a pump for them to putting two Ts on the return line, with a ball valve, to feed each one individually.

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved from a BrS dual reactor to two single ones, that way I can run my GFO when I need, and then turn it off if needed, all the while running my carbon 24/7. I also moved from running a pump for them to putting two Ts on the return line, with a ball valve, to feed each one individually.
This sounds a little complicated for the back of my biocube haha
Thank you for all your imput ! Pics of what people run in the back of their biocubes is much appreciated!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no, GFO takes alot less flow Carbon used more. Bulkreefsupply sells a dual chamber pretty cheap under 50 i think first for carbon next GFO and it would be VERY easy to hide aswell.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this looks interesting,

it doesnt seem to explicitly claim to remove trates and phosphates, unless I am missing something

I have a pack right here and it says:

Removes
Harmful Organics
Heavy Metals
All Forms of Phosphates
Medication after treatments.

It doesn't say removal of Nitrates but when I started using them I did see a drop in my nitrates.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds a little complicated for the back of my biocube haha
Thank you for all your imput ! Pics of what people run in the back of their biocubes is much appreciated!

yeah, sorry. I was just giving an example of my setup. You could use a BRS dual reactor in your case, especially if you run a biocube with a small sump underneath.

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like said above the tank is new and your going to expect algae out breaks. Brown Green and Red normally. Thats just part of the startup. Along the way i would suggest up to 10 gallon water changes or 5 at the minimal until you get your levels under control. Also dont rush the bio load until it stabilizes.

Gp2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like said above the tank is new and your going to expect algae out breaks. Brown Green and Red normally. Thats just part of the startup. Along the way i would suggest up to 10 gallon water changes or 5 at the minimal until you get your levels under control. Also dont rush the bio load until it stabilizes.

+1, I run gfo and carbon on my main DT, but it still went through a period of algae outbreaks as a normal part of a new tank cycle. I recently set up another tank and it has quite a bit of greenish hairy algae. It should go away in a few weeks or so. Just make sure your parameters are in line and it should go away. While saying that I do love gfo and carbon reactors.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BigFeesh - Definitely sounds like your system is pretty new. You will deal with algae in the beginning. You should see my pictures in my album from when i first started. Eveuntaully i created a refuge in the second chamber and ran chemi-pure elite in the 3rd chamber. Bought a decent clean up crew and things got much better. As years went on (on number 3), i am dealing with some algae again and this weekend i am planning an overhaul.
I havent used chemi-pure in a years instead i have been using a media bag with GFO and Carbon (BRS). Not the best way to do it but i just ordered a single BRS reactor.
2nd chamber will soon have a tunze 9002 and inTank Media basket Biocube 29 Media Basket which will have a filter pad on top and chaeto in the other levels to keep a semi-refuge.
Also another problem is flow. Most people over look this and figure over feeding, nitrates, or phospates are your problem...but usually deadspots are where algae grow.
Just got an MP10 that came in the mail last night. Looking forward to seeing this thing in action.

Like i said this weekend is overhaul time...check out my blog of my 29 biocube and see the changes i went through.

Good luck with yours and have fun!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i would also say no like a few others, GFO needs alot less flow then carbon, Have you looked into those small little disk like rex that BRS sells?

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, what i use in my biocube is "inTank" media rack. There are 3 levels to it. On the first level I have filter floss, 2nd level Chemi Pure elite, and bottom level i put a bag of purgine. You shuold lookinto that media rack. It work great!!

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why you couldn't us both, but why not just get two bags? It will make it easier since a lot of people change their carbon pretty regularly.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • All of the above

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back