Cardinal fish with cloudy eye and nodules on bottom

Benediikt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
91FC24BB-B56F-473E-A022-FEC948C9635E.jpeg
My cardinal fish had one cloudy eye yesterday evening, I checked my water and nitrates were a little elevated so, just to be safe, I did a 50% water change. He was also swimming very close to the bottom so I put him in this tank that is meant for baby fish to avoid him being eaten by my crab.Today his stomach has these bubbles or nodules, they are concerningly large and over the last hour one has fallen of, it can be seen in the picture bottom left. I am very concerned as he is also opening and closing his mouth wide. Andy diagnosis is very appreciated, I already looked through humble.fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
91FC24BB-B56F-473E-A022-FEC948C9635E.jpeg
My cardinal fish had one cloudy eye yesterday evening, I checked my water and nitrates were a little elevated so, just to be safe, I did a 50% water change. He was also swimming very close to the bottom so I put him in this tank that is meant for baby fish to avoid him being eaten by my crab.Today his stomach has these bubbles or nodules, they are concerningly large and over the last hour one has fallen of, it can be seen in the picture bottom left. I am very concerned as he is also opening and closing his mouth wide. Andy diagnosis is very appreciated, I already looked through humble.fish.
Welcome to Reef2Reef

Do the nodules look like they have gas in them?
This could be gas bubble disease or a gas supersaturation issue.
Could the fish have neuter its eye recently?

Jay Hemdal

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 55 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back