Caridsea special grade - with metal shavings?

Etherpete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody. I found metal shavings, or what I think are metal shavings in my substrate. The magnet fell onto the substrate which it does often and when I pull it out, I found metal shavings or what I think are metal shavings stuck to the magnet. The system is about two weeks old and I put the seafloor in, about a week and a half ago. Has anybody else experienced this? Are these metal shavings or is it just magnetic rock? I ran the magnet through the sand for about a half an hour and continue to find things stuck to the magnet. It appears I got most of it out, but just curious what the community thinks?

IMG_3026.jpeg IMG_3025.jpeg IMG_3024.jpeg IMG_3023.jpeg

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody. I found metal shavings, or what I think are metal shavings in my substrate. The magnet fell onto the substrate which it does often and when I pull it out, I found metal shavings or what I think are metal shavings stuck to the magnet. The system is about two weeks old and I put the seafloor in, about a week and a half ago. Has anybody else experienced this? Are these metal shavings or is it just magnetic rock? I ran the magnet through the sand for about a half an hour and continue to find things stuck to the magnet. It appears I got most of it out, but just curious what the community thinks?

IMG_3026.jpeg IMG_3025.jpeg IMG_3024.jpeg IMG_3023.jpeg
I would say that that's not normal. Not sure what kind of sand or rock you have but I would take it out and replace it with something else. If you got that out of your substrate who knows what else is int there to make your life harder later on

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back