Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

What do you feed your finicky fish? (select all that apply)

• Live foods

Votes: 55 29.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 142 77.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 41 22.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Other

Votes: 15 8.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

It may be a new fish to your tank that hasn’t settled in yet, a fish that had an injury in or around its mouth, or a fish that is just picky - sometimes fish just don’t seem to want to eat what you are feeding them. Sometimes they show no interest in food that is put in the tank, or they may take the food in their mouth and then spit it out again. If this has been your experience, please tell us what you feed your finicky fish. Sometimes it may be live food, frozen meaty food, a softer pellet, or some other type of food that catches their attention. Being a picky eater isn’t necessarily bad, but it may take some extra work for the caretaker. Let us know how you navigate finicky fish!

SoccerBag_Fish.jpeg

Photo by @soccerbag

For additional information, please consider reading the R2R article about feeding finicky fish.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Garlic helps everything. Get them eating in QT and get them fat. Then the display transition is easier
Can you point to any evidence that garlic makes any difference? I have used it multiple times over the years with no positive results

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS usually has live blackworms and those wriggly things appear to be a temptation that is quite difficult to resist. Yes, they're freshwater, but so long as you don't go overboard on feeding them, they're a good way to at least get something into Picky-Picky's belly.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is evidence that it helps with enticing a fish to eat. There is also scientific evidence that it supports managing parasites.
My reading is that there are papers saying it can help - and papers saying it does nothing. Lots of people (including me) - use/used it. In my case just one of many - anecdotes - saying both. As far as I know, garlic is useful (purported) as an appetite increaser - as compared to anything to do with parasites - except the issue with garlic potentially increasing immunity in general.

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reading is that there are papers saying it can help - and papers saying it does nothing. Lots of people (including me) - use/used it. In my case just one of many - anecdotes - saying both. As far as I know, garlic is useful (purported) as an appetite increaser - as compared to anything to do with parasites - except the issue with garlic potentially increasing immunity in general.
I was just going off a few papers off of Humble Fish forums. I've only used it to increase appetite. I've heard it can cause damage with long time use.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS usually has live blackworms and those wriggly things appear to be a temptation that is quite difficult to resist. Yes, they're freshwater, but so long as you don't go overboard on feeding them, they're a good way to at least get something into Picky-Picky's belly.
Black worms are super healthy food for your fish.
It’s funny, ever since COVID, there is literally none available in my region ever anymore

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Can you point to any evidence that garlic makes any difference? I have used it multiple times over the years with no positive results
I can say that I had some fish come in which I added to QT, an anularus angel and a marbles cat shark. I added them in a 75 gallon QT with pvc, and neither was showing any interest in eating. After two days of this, I started soaking the food I was feeding in garlic guard and the very next feeding they became excited and actively seeking within seconds of the food hitting the water. I know this is anecdotal, but I also see the fish in our tanks that we feed a garlic enriched nori become active as it goes in. Not just the herbivores but everyone starts hunting. This behavior is different from their collecting when I set everything to feed mode. Most of the fish in our tanks collect, sometimes like clock work before I shut anything down, but the energy appears different once the garlic hits the water.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Ajiboye, O.O., Yakubu, A.F., Simpa, J.O. and Balogun, S.A., 2016. Effect of Garlic-Supplemented Diets on Growth Response, Survival, Nutrient Utilization and Body Composition of Monosex Tilapia zillii. World, 8(2), pp.115-122).

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently raising a baby engineer goby and nursing a malnourished Mandarin, I use newly hatched baby brine, and when I put that in the tank or into the feeders a full feeding frenzy breaks out with my other fish. Something about a small easy to catch meal really helps.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
(Ajiboye, O.O., Yakubu, A.F., Simpa, J.O. and Balogun, S.A., 2016. Effect of Garlic-Supplemented Diets on Growth Response, Survival, Nutrient Utilization and Body Composition of Monosex Tilapia zillii. World, 8(2), pp.115-122).
I think you mis-read my comments - which stated there are positive and negative (and neutral) opinions about garlic - in my first post. Either way - here is a nice review article that goes through many of the advantages. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10420702/

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve never used garlic for my tank, but I have used this stuff and it definitely works. :p

IMG_5205.png
Thanks - works for what? Starting fish to feed, immunity something else>

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - works for what? Starting fish to feed, immunity something else>
lol. In retrospect I see I made it seem as though I fed my fish with it. Not at all the case. I use it to catch trout. It’s garlic flavored and works well for its intended purpose.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back