Caulerpa gone sexual and affecting zoa's and softies?

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoa's and torches have been looking horrible for quite some time and I think I may have figured it out! I have a macro algae reactor with Chaeto but it seems some Caulerpa got in and grew like crazy. I have removed it but would it going "sexual", have caused my zoas to stay closed and cause some to just drop off? I am literally, at my wits end here.
Any advice is appreciated.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it actually go sexual? If so… it should have turned clear and sometimes the tank gets cloudy.

Did you test nitrate and po4 since it grew like crazy?

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're likely going to need a water change or two. I'm not experienced with corals but I am with macros. When they go sexual they release everything they were soaking up. Nitrates, phosphates, carbon, etc. could possibly have spiked unless you have some other type of nutrient export. So you should probably test your water if you haven't already.

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're likely going to need a water change or two. I'm not experienced with corals but I am with macros. When they go sexual they release everything they were soaking up. Nitrates, phosphates, carbon, etc. could possibly have spiked unless you have some other type of nutrient export. So you should probably test your water if you haven't already.
But like @Tamberav said, that is if the caulerpa definitely went sexual.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it happen before but the entire tank went very cloudy it was hard not to miss. Maybe with a much smaller amount like you may have you would not notice. In any case test your parameters if you are not seeing nutrient spikes then it probably did not go asexual and likely not your issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had it happen a few times with no apparent issues.

I'm not sure it is ever a problem. I've looked a variety of times over many years and could never find a fist hand account of it happening and causing a problem.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my zoa's and some torches have not been looking good for a while now and just could not figure it out! Noticed a cloudiness last night and the skimmer was going nuts. Decided to check the macro algae reactor . Chaeto was growing nicely but so was some form of other caulerpa/macro algae.
I do run GFO and Chemipure 24/7 and that may have saved me. Dug out the old HOT Magnum and running carbon now.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had it happen a few times with no apparent issues.

I'm not sure it is ever a problem. I've looked a variety of times over many years and could never find a fist hand account of it happening and causing a problem.
Thank you for your reply. I have had first hand accounts but never experienced it myself. I have been on-line all morning and apparently, it is a "thing".

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you are running gfo and carbon and a algae reactor. You may also be bottoming out nutrients.

The caulperla should be clear if it when sexual. Otherwise we are just pointing fingers to get an easy answer.

Plus you said they were not looking good “for awhile now” but noticed a cloudiness recently. I would not jump conclusions since a right answer is better than a simple one.

Time to run a full panel of tests.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'm quite sure the caulerpa is my problem. Since I started running my HOT Magnum w carbon this AM, things are looking better. Lights just came on, so I should have a better indication in a few hours.
My nutrients are def not bottoming out.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was looking rather pale, a good indication of going sexual. Too many coincidences....cloudy water, skimmer going nuts. Been running carbon for several hours and things seem to be improving.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was looking rather pale, a good indication of going sexual. Too many coincidences....cloudy water, skimmer going nuts. Been running carbon for several hours and things seem to be improving.

OK, good luck. :)

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'd certainly appreciate hearing any first hand accounts of a tank problem with caulerpa sporulation. As I said, I've looked for many years and could find any.

@Tigahboy, have you had any problems with culerpa going sexual?

I've been avoiding it since I'm concerned about this happening and crashing my tank, but if it's not something I should be worried about, it would be great to know!

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a simple softie tank! This pic is before the zoas closed and the torches were unhappy. I have checked everything and am mixing up a fresh batch of water now. As I said, the carbon seems to be making a positive difference. Zoas not looking great yet but polyps on torches and leathers are beginning to come out, mushrooms looking better, bubble corals beginning to expand again, etc.

1644964018279.jpeg

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tigahboy, have you had any problems with culerpa going sexual?

I've been avoiding it since I'm concerned about this happening and crashing my tank, but if it's not something I should be worried about, it would be great to know!
I think some are more prone to it than others. Like I've never had my prolifera go sexual, but various grape caulerpa go sexual on me all the time. I just typically do a big water change and run carbon after. Just try to keep nutrients up, trim old growth regularly, and pray to the macro gods.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a massive water change-40 gallons or so-and carbon and Purigen and more carbon yesterday, things seem to be improving and the lights will come on soon, so will get a better idea then.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoa's and torches have been looking horrible for quite some time and I think I may have figured it out! I have a macro algae reactor with Chaeto but it seems some Caulerpa got in and grew like crazy. I have removed it but would it going "sexual", have caused my zoas to stay closed and cause some to just drop off? I am literally, at my wits end here.
Any advice is appreciated.
Your algae reactor might have depleted your aquarium of nutrients or a trace element long before the coral became sick. The Caulerpa going sexual was possibly a response to this depletion.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 61 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back