Centerpiece Fish Suggestion

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some suggestions. I want another fish that gets about the size of an adult Zebrasoma that can be more of a centerpiece fish.

I have a 5ft Innovative Marine 170 Gallon. It's WELL stocked and my list is as follows:

(5) Lyretail Anthias
(3) Cardinals
(2) Clowns
(1) Yellow Tang
(1) White Tail Bristletooth
(1) Tomini Tang
(1) Magnificent Foxface
(1) Coral Beauty
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Starry Blenny
(1) Diamond Goby
(2) Watanabei Angels
(2) Firefish

Most of the fish I've had for several years - everyone is healthy and happy. The fish are heavily fed with an Avast Plank, they get nori daily, and I'll manually feed them frozen or some freeze dried with Selcon.

I'd REALLY love a Gem Tang, but... I don't want to deal with that. It would take a lot more energy than I'm willing to put into it to get the yellow to at least tolerate another Zebrasoma - and for how long? I've been thinking about doing a small blue tang, but I know there will be an eventual re-home required. I don't know how quickly they grow and I also know they can be aggressive.

I don't want a CBB. Beautiful fish, but a Powder Blue or brown are just too aggressive. I don't think I could get away with any other angels. Wrasses aren't going to be large enough... What say you, fish experts? Do I have any options? The fish needs to be reef safe.

I know some are already thinking I'm overstocked - I promise I'm not. I dose nitrate to keep nutrients in the tank. Outside of a tang scuffle once in a while, the tank is mostly peaceful. I can divide the tank with egg crate if I need to, although I'd rather not.

Appreciate any suggestions! Some pics for fun :)

2024-01-23_18-54-09_700.jpeg
2024-01-23_18-54-09_545.jpeg
2024-01-23_18-54-09_660.jpeg
2024-01-23_18-54-09_680.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Watanabei angels. You dont think they are center piece enough? They are so beautiful! I am trying to think of something that will be out and about but I am drawing a blank. Looking at your list I dont see any wrasses I was kind of thinking maybe a Lineatus or Exquisite, but may not be flashy enough.

OP
OP
JM302

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Watanabei angels. You dont think they are center piece enough? They are so beautiful! I am trying to think of something that will be out and about but I am drawing a blank. Looking at your list I dont see any wrasses I was kind of thinking maybe a Lineatus or Exquisite, but may not be flashy enough.
I totally love the Watanabie. They are definitely centerpiece worthy. I just need another large fish to sorta fill out the display, if that makes sense. Most of my larger fish (outside of the Watanabie) are close to full grown.

Wrasses will make their way in at some point, but that means I need a lid ;)

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with two zebrasoma in a 6 ft tank. A harlequin tusk would look nice dont know if they are completely reef safe and what their temperament is like

OP
OP
JM302

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with two zebrasoma in a 6 ft tank. A harlequin tusk would look nice dont know if they are completely reef safe and what their temperament is like

I thought I got away with a Purple. I had them separated and after a few weeks they seemed .. okay... with each other? Well one night the yellow thrashed the purple to death. I felt terrible.

I agree that the Harlequin would be amazing - I just question how reef safe they are. I already push it with the foxface and dwarf angels.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been softly keeping an eye out for a Marine Betta and Spotted Drum (I think super rare).

Also recently saw a Fiji Blue Spot puffer at LFS and really had to talk myself out of it.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I got away with a Purple. I had them separated and after a few weeks they seemed .. okay... with each other? Well one night the yellow thrashed the purple to death. I felt terrible.

I agree that the Harlequin would be amazing - I just question how reef safe they are. I already push it with the foxface and dwarf angels.
Yeah if i did two zebrasoma again i’d attempt to put them both in at the same time for a better chance.

Ive never had one so I can’t speak too much on them. Might be worth the gamble though for a show piece. Maybe someone that has one can chime in?

Edit: i think @vetteguy53081 might have one?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JM302

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been softly keeping an eye out for a Marine Betta and Spotted Drum (I think super rare).

Also recently saw a Fiji Blue Spot puffer at LFS and really had to talk myself out of it.

Hah, same thing! I saw that puffer and so wanted it. I'd be forced into another tank for sure when it decides to sharpen its beak on my stonies. LOL

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tusk doesnt mess with corals. Hermit eater, snail eater, crab eater, shrimp eater ect. So if you like your CUC I wouldnt. Had to move to a sea hare, tiger conches, and a cucumber for my main CUC cause of mine! I do have hermits but if they so much as roam out on the sand she eats them!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah! Marine bettas are so cool. Very shy fish, hang out in the rocks. For sure a centerpiece when they are out. Took mine about a year to come out and swim openly but mostly hides under his arch

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
JM302

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tusk doesnt mess with corals. Hermit eater, snail eater, crab eater, shrimp eater ect. So if you like your CUC I wouldnt. Had to move to a sea hare, tiger conches, and a cucumber for my main CUC cause of mine! I do have hermits but if they so much as roam out on the sand she eats them!
Great point.... That's why I got rid of my Melanurus Wrasse. Had him for years and years. He was so big and fat. Probably because he ate every snai and hermit in the tank. I do like my CUC so that eliminates the Tusk :/.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point.... That's why I got rid of my Melanurus Wrasse. Had him for years and years. He was so big and fat. Probably because he ate every snai and hermit in the tank. I do like my CUC so that eliminates the Tusk :/.
yeah I really cant think of a bigger fish that would fit! I think another tang might tick the rest of them off and you got lots of angels. Butterflies tick me off lol but they are super cool. Triggers eat crabs and clean up crew too

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm looking for some suggestions. I want another fish that gets about the size of an adult Zebrasoma that can be more of a centerpiece fish.

I have a 5ft Innovative Marine 170 Gallon. It's WELL stocked and my list is as follows:

(5) Lyretail Anthias
(3) Cardinals
(2) Clowns
(1) Yellow Tang
(1) White Tail Bristletooth
(1) Tomini Tang
(1) Magnificent Foxface
(1) Coral Beauty
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Starry Blenny
(1) Diamond Goby
(2) Watanabei Angels
(2) Firefish

Most of the fish I've had for several years - everyone is healthy and happy. The fish are heavily fed with an Avast Plank, they get nori daily, and I'll manually feed them frozen or some freeze dried with Selcon.

I'd REALLY love a Gem Tang, but... I don't want to deal with that. It would take a lot more energy than I'm willing to put into it to get the yellow to at least tolerate another Zebrasoma - and for how long? I've been thinking about doing a small blue tang, but I know there will be an eventual re-home required. I don't know how quickly they grow and I also know they can be aggressive.

I don't want a CBB. Beautiful fish, but a Powder Blue or brown are just too aggressive. I don't think I could get away with any other angels. Wrasses aren't going to be large enough... What say you, fish experts? Do I have any options? The fish needs to be reef safe.

I know some are already thinking I'm overstocked - I promise I'm not. I dose nitrate to keep nutrients in the tank. Outside of a tang scuffle once in a while, the tank is mostly peaceful. I can divide the tank with egg crate if I need to, although I'd rather not.

Appreciate any suggestions! Some pics for fun :)

2024-01-23_18-54-09_700.jpeg
2024-01-23_18-54-09_545.jpeg
2024-01-23_18-54-09_660.jpeg
2024-01-23_18-54-09_680.jpeg
Tomini tang
Pyramid butterfly

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had Marine Bettas in almost every SW tank since 1973! But, I have to warn that in my reef tanks, almost no one (except myself) actually sees them!
They stay hidden 99% of the time !
The good news is that they live many years, my biggest one is at least 25 years old.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had Marine Bettas in almost every SW tank since 1973! But, I have to warn that in my reef tanks, almost no one (except myself) actually sees them!
They stay hidden 99% of the time !
The good news is that they live many years, my biggest one is at least 25 years old.
I love mine! I named him Comet. When I added my tangs I noticed he was out and about more. Do you get wild caught or CB?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini is already in there.... However a Pyramid butterfly might be a candidate. Any gotchas with keeping one?
Other than they get very large! Saw an adult in someone’s tank recently and was shocked with the size of it! Stunning though. Didnt even think of that one. Cool fish!

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would totally do an Achilles tang! Not as big as a PBB and way more of a show stopper fish.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back