Chaeto put to the test: Going beyond our expectations! (Part 1)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS, in the refugium testing, where did you all test the PAR levels? I have a PAR meter on hand this week for the tank but I wanted to compare my refugium lighting to those tested. I built DIY with Rapid LED 1.6" heat sink, 9 Photo Red LEDs and 2 Royal Blues and 1 cool white. After studying the spectrum spread on that Kessil, I think I need to swap the Royal Blues with Violets.I am currently measuring 600 at the surface but I would have to remove my chaeto mat to get any values lower than that. Makes me wonder if I should double up

Edited with data, below.

-Randy

Last edited:
OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS, in the refugium testing, where did you all test the PAR levels? I have a PAR meter on hand this week for the tank but I wanted to compare my refugium lighting to those tested. I built DIY with Rapid LED 1.6" heat sink, 9 Photo Red LEDs and 2 Royal Blues and 1 cool white. After studying the spectrum spread on that Kessil, I think I need to swap the Royal Blues with Violets. I am currently measuring 600 at the surface but I would have to remove my chaeto mat to get any values lower than that. Makes me wonder if I should double up

Hey there!

Sorry for the lack of info here! I watch all of these but keeping up with the amount of data Ryan throws out in a single episode is pretty hard to do! Haha! :p

We actually tested PAR with the light 12" above the sensor and also in air. (This is because most of the surface area of the chaeto is exposed to air.)

-Randy

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!

Sorry for the lack of info here! I watch all of these but keeping up with the amount of data Ryan throws out in a single episode is pretty hard to do! Haha! :p

We actually tested PAR with the light 12" above the sensor and also in air. (This is because most of the surface area of the chaeto is exposed to air.)

-Randy

What episode was that in, I must have missed it and I thought I saw them all ;)

UFreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one of these using a phosban 150 and the marinedepot LED rope light. The chaeto grows like mad but do you think these things are dangerous or risky? I did my best to insulate all connections to prevent exposure to moisture and have had no issues but can't help think that it might not be a good idea.
Has anyone had any stray voltage issues or had one burn up?

red reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 al 26 led pod on my Sump Chaeto grows like crazy 5 gal solid bucket I toss about every 2 mo plus feed fish. Water parameters are great. Pods love it and so does the fish. Run the led for 12 hrs per day. Ph adverage 8.2 24 hrs period. Heavy bioload here. Been doing this for 25yrs and had my ups and downs but Chae to in the sump has diffently made life of reefing a whole lot easier.

Joe Beeler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Today we're updating you on the Chaetomorpha test that we have been brewing for the last few weeks. What we found about fuge size and PAR really surprised us, so we couldn't just stop there!

As you can tell from the title, we are going to be changing it up with this test and will continue the investigation. So check out this first installment of the Chaeto test and let us know your thoughts!

-Randy

Here is my final experiment on the topic.

Chris Jakubowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i put my H380 over the sump fuge like that it bleached my cheato into a sloppy white substance!! did you not get this?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i put my H380 over the sump fuge like that it bleached my cheato into a sloppy white substance!! did you not get this?

It is possible to bleach anything when the PAR is raised dramatically and quickly : )

We have some tips related to this in this Friday's video.

Chris Jakubowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to bleach anything when the PAR is raised dramatically and quickly : )

We have some tips related to this in this Friday's video.

I started with the H380 in my sump setup but after it turned the top half layer of my Chaeto into a sloppy white goo i setup a separate 200L cube tank using the same water from my display tank, I ran a 2x55w T5HO 6500K over the setup with some lush green Chaeto to start the new culture.

Within 3 weeks it had grown considerably (being fed with the skimmer scum from my main tank twice a week) so I thought it's time to try again with the Kessil H380

I raised the gooseneck as high as possible and left the light on a 12 hour schedule for three days, in this 200L tank the Chaeto tumbles beautifully but again I am noticing the outer layer is turning white again

I don't understand how in your tests you just managed to add this light the way you did in your video and it not come out with the same result as I've tried it in both scenarios of quickly adding light and slowly acclimatising to the light

For the time being I am having to revert back to the T5HO lighting as the kessil is killing my Chaeto and until i figure out why i am not getting the same results as everyone else seems to be with this light

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the H380 in my sump setup but after it turned the top half layer of my Chaeto into a sloppy white goo i setup a separate 200L cube tank using the same water from my display tank, I ran a 2x55w T5HO 6500K over the setup with some lush green Chaeto to start the new culture.

Within 3 weeks it had grown considerably (being fed with the skimmer scum from my main tank twice a week) so I thought it's time to try again with the Kessil H380

I raised the gooseneck as high as possible and left the light on a 12 hour schedule for three days, in this 200L tank the Chaeto tumbles beautifully but again I am noticing the outer layer is turning white again

I don't understand how in your tests you just managed to add this light the way you did in your video and it not come out with the same result as I've tried it in both scenarios of quickly adding light and slowly acclimatising to the light

For the time being I am having to revert back to the T5HO lighting as the kessil is killing my Chaeto and until i figure out why i am not getting the same results as everyone else seems to be with this light
Do you dose a 2/3 part with micro trace elements in it?
This trace elements dosed daily in very small quantities when you dose your 2/3 part(which already are part of it) may make the difference.
Also if you still maintain GFO or carbon dosing, like biopellets , vodka, nopox etc, could be the reason!

Chris Jakubowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose a 2/3 part with micro trace elements in it?
This trace elements dosed daily in very small quantities when you dose your 2/3 part(which already are part of it) may make the difference.
Also if you still maintain GFO or carbon dosing, like biopellets , vodka, nopox etc, could be the reason!

Dont run anything apart from skimmer and filter sock in display tank, nothing in the 200L chaeto only tank

What trace elements brand would you recommend? This is the only thing I haven't tried and think it could be the cause since I am using 'spent' water from my display tank in the chaeto tank

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont run anything apart from skimmer and filter sock in display tank, nothing in the 200L chaeto only tank

What trace elements brand would you recommend? This is the only thing I haven't tried and think it could be the cause since I am using 'spent' water from my display tank in the chaeto tank
Try 5 hours of light and work your way up..

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this still goin on?

I put both an H350 and an H80 and a JBJ fuge light on tank 18 hours per day (no acclimation and more watts than a single H380) and it grew this from a fist size in just over 4 wks.

9de62314bc63ffe5831de56d24bedd51.jpg

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ment 400gph adjustable pump. Not 400 watt LOL
that would be pumping a bunch of stuff.:D

thanks for posting. I got those bulbs on ebay also and have to start using them. May use the pump also.

my current pig tail hardware store bulb does work but growth is very slow with lotsa algae.

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep me posted on your growth process.
that would be pumping a bunch of stuff.:D

thanks for posting. I got those bulbs on ebay also and have to start using them. May use the pump also.

my current pig tail hardware store bulb does work but growth is very slow with lotsa algae.

firefishalumacraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running the H380 on a 75g sps reef running a 15g refugium, no socks, large skimmer for one week now. Since my switch from biopellets to the refugium the cheato doubled it size and my nitrates went from 5ppm to 1ppm and my Po4 went from o.06/7 to 0.03. I also noticed that a diatom outbreak for the last 2 months is on its way out, the sps have more EP then ever. The tank looks 10x better.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back