Chaeto put to the test: Going beyond our expectations! (Part 1)

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running into a problem that you all may want to test with the higher powered systems.. My pH of the system stays high when my cheato gets decent sized in my fuge.. Not too mention that I just purchased a decent sized mangrove.. Now, whenever the lights are on it, the pH is rising also.. I really am considering my system a high photosynthesis system since I have so much plant life in it.. The most that I've ever had..

I am going to try and remove some of the cheato, since my belief is the photosynthesis is massively high, even though I'm only running a smaller light (my small viparspektra 300 watt) on my fuge.. My tub /Lagoon /mangrove light is much higher wattage (600 watt viparspektra), but I'm switching to only blue and red colors, versus the blue and white that I have been running..

Any suggestions brs, since you all are now experimenting with these methods? Because my pH is getting to the 8.5 level,(which I always thought was too high), and this is with a calcium reactor running)...

Thanks much,

D

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running into a problem that you all may want to test with the higher powered systems.. My pH of the system stays high when my cheato gets decent sized in my fuge.. Not too mention that I just purchased a decent sized mangrove.. Now, whenever the lights are on it, the pH is rising also.. I really am considering my system a high photosynthesis system since I have so much plant life in it.. The most that I've ever had..

I am going to try and remove some of the cheato, since my belief is the photosynthesis is massively high, even though I'm only running a smaller light (my small viparspektra 300 watt) on my fuge.. My tub /Lagoon /mangrove light is much higher wattage (600 watt viparspektra), but I'm switching to only blue and red colors, versus the blue and white that I have been running..

Any suggestions brs, since you all are now experimenting with these methods? Because my pH is getting to the 8.5 level,(which I always thought was too high), and this is with a calcium reactor running)...

Thanks much,

D

With pH first step is to confirm the probe is working by testing calibration packets. At least half of the time the probe is off by at least 0.2 In this case, it is very possible you are that high because a high-performance fuge can strip the co2. If you would like to bring it down I would increase gas exchange with either a skimmer or higher flow aimed at the surface of the water. If that doesn't work shorten the fuge photoperiod or raise the lights up.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With pH first step is to confirm the probe is working by testing calibration packets. At least half of the time the probe is off by at least 0.2 In this case, it is very possible you are that high because a high-performance fuge can strip the co2. If you would like to bring it down I would increase gas exchange with either a skimmer or higher flow aimed at the surface of the water. If that doesn't work shorten the fuge photoperiod or raise the lights up.
Thanks Ryan.. You know, I was actually reading something on that co2 stripping myself.. And I kind of chalked it off until I put the line from the reactor into my water to see if I could increase the co2, in conjunction with the pH.. And it does work, but not during the day.. The Oh is still going high but not worse as high.. I am going to check the probe with my bottle of solution.. And that's the other thing, I only have 4.0 and 7.0.. And need to get some more.. But I will check it with the solutions that I have to see if it is the probe..

I have that skimz 251, but I also thought of adding an air stone just to see if it does anything..??? Do you think having the pig that both will harm anything? I don't have any sps in my system at the moment, but I want to get back into them again.. But my concern is it being too high and killing things, since I know too low will kill, and would think too high will do the same.. That's if, if it's a valid pH..

Last edited:

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is titled "Chaeto Put to the Test - Part 1" --- Does that mean there's a part 2?

We just built a refugium and got a ball of Chaeto today (I've got (2) Lowes 6500k lights on it temporarily). We're considering the Kessil H80. How would it compare in this test? Our 125g tank was started in September with about 100lbs of live rock and 100lbs of dry rock. Nitrates had remained at or below 10ppm until this week... they've now climbed to 15-20ppm. We'd like to add this refugium/chaeto and after it has settled, if necessary, begin dosing vinegar.

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is titled "Chaeto Put to the Test - Part 1" --- Does that mean there's a part 2?

We just built a refugium and got a ball of Chaeto today (I've got (2) Lowes 6500k lights on it temporarily). We're considering the Kessil H80. How would it compare in this test? Our 125g tank was started in September with about 100lbs of live rock and 100lbs of dry rock. Nitrates had remained at or below 10ppm until this week... they've now climbed to 15-20ppm. We'd like to add this refugium/chaeto and after it has settled, if necessary, begin dosing vinegar.

These are all you need and you will be growing chaeto like a mad man. Check out my video on page 10. I use those bulbs on my 220, my frag system and my little 5g bar top nano.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12W-E26-E27-PAR38-12-LED-Red-Blue-Hydroponic-Flower-Plant-Grow-Light-Bulb-Lamp/172228430053?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=3d6e6abb0bfa4d4b8a32b6e579f0f0bd&pid=100290&rk=3&rkt=4&mehot=ag&sd=192393285657&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my question..
Which is better-to skim wetter, pulling the most possible, with the chaeto cleaning up what's left, which would result in slow, maybe no chaeto growth. . Or, skim more on the drier side, leading to better chaeto growth?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my question..
Which is better-to skim wetter, pulling the most possible, with the chaeto cleaning up what's left, which would result in slow, maybe no chaeto growth. . Or, skim more on the drier side, leading to better chaeto growth?
don't know. I just use the chaeto with no skimmer. LOL
perhaps others can help.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't know. I just use the chaeto with no skimmer. LOL
perhaps others can help.
A friend of mine had all kinds of algae growth with his tank, most notably Spindle weed ( Neomeris Annulata).
His skimmer pump died, and he was taking his time trying to decide if to replace the pump, or upgrade to a bigger skimmer in an effort to eradicate the algae.
After a week or so, he noticed the spindle weed declining. Never replaced the skimmer, just used his fuge for export, and the spindle weed disappeared.
I cannot bring myself to take my skimmer offline. But I do know that if I skim wet, the chaeto starts to melt.
Also, does anyone know if chaeto releases any nasties into the water column that could effect coral growth, like other types of algae have been shown to do?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine had all kinds of algae growth with his tank, most notably Spindle weed ( Neomeris Annulata).
His skimmer pump died, and he was taking his time trying to decide if to replace the pump, or upgrade to a bigger skimmer in an effort to eradicate the algae.
After a week or so, he noticed the spindle weed declining. Never replaced the skimmer, just used his fuge for export, and the spindle weed disappeared.
I cannot bring myself to take my skimmer offline. But I do know that if I skim wet, the chaeto starts to melt.
Also, does anyone know if chaeto releases any nasties into the water column that could effect coral growth, like other types of algae have been shown to do?
i think all macro algaes do go sexual as part of the life cycle. But unlike caulerpa, chaeto just kinds melts with no or few toxins released.

But then that is just my speculation worth at most .02

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy and the rest of the brs staff, I'm curious of something and there is a reason why: with all of the masses now catching on to the power of higher lighting for give setups, I'm curious why lower powered HPS was not included in the tests?

I'm asking, because I recently downgraded my led 300 watt unit, to my old 150 watt HPS, and strangely enough, I'm seeing even better growth rates and control over nutrients. And for the first time in my system, things are completely in balance (as far as N and P) and completely under control.

I saw the video on the sunblaze, and I actually used that system before also (I'm a sun system/sunlight supply long time user for horticulture and hydroponics), and the small sodium systems(150 watt at maximum), they honestly put out just about the same amount of heat, they are cheap (60.00 approximately)and there is honestly just something about the spectrum that makes the cheating grow very, very differently even versus a higher powered led unit. And, they are, actually a lot easier to control your nutrient level that you want (more forgiving).

They are something that might be worth a trial and test, along side a led unit. Just curious, as the sodium was the precursor to the LED systems that many are using now..

And keep up the great work and tests. I'm loving the ULM series as much as all the other test based series you guys are doing.. I love that your on the cusp of trying new things..

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.... so ... looking at all this.. is a refuge with Cheato better than a turf scrubber.. i have part of my sump available for either. system is sps and fish 700 gallon. thoughts.. did not mean to side track this thread but looks like a good bunch of experienced reefers on this thread with past experiences.. thanks

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.... so ... looking at all this.. is a refuge with Cheato better than a turf scrubber.. i have part of my sump available for either. system is sps and fish 700 gallon. thoughts.. did not mean to side track this thread but looks like a good bunch of experienced reefers on this thread with past experiences.. thanks

I think going the chaeto route is easier. Less to clean and nothing to plumb in. Once it grows out to double/triple the size trim and repeat. LOL Easy peasy.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does cheato suck up nitrate and phosphate as well as a Turf Scrubber?

From all of our chaeto testing we did, and continue to do, it's pretty compelling how well a solid refugium can be the only nutrient control needed on a tank. (BRS160 is a prime example). Testing various algae grow methods would be pretty fun to test down the road or for someone to try out at home! :)

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all of our chaeto testing we did, and continue to do, it's pretty compelling how well a solid refugium can be the only nutrient control needed on a tank. (BRS160 is a prime example). Testing various algae grow methods would be pretty fun to test down the road or for someone to try out at home! :)
Hey randy, how often do you guys trim your fuge on the 160 and what % do you pull out? I've been experimenting with letting mine go a little longer and dying off at the top a bit to release those tasty coral treats triton talks about. Having said that, I realize it's a delicate balancing act. Just curious what you guys do?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks randy.. just wondering though.. i have a heavy .. heavy stocked 700 gallon tank.. i overfeed... keeps the angels and wrasses fat and not to aggressive.. so lets say doing 15 cubes a day...
if i had the kessel light and lets say a basket ball sized Cheato.. are we thanking that could handle that much ?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back