Chalice Peeling

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a Chalice before, bought a piece of a larger one from a low that looked fairly well grown out. It had a little bit of peeling when I got it, but it’s been getting worse. Tried moving lower onto the sand bed for lower lighting and peeling got worse...

Core parameters are normal, kbh 8, ph 8.1. It currently gets 150-200 par in the spot it is in with med water flow. Use coral AB+ on echo tech xr30

Any saving this fella?

315CCF16-7FBE-43B6-B270-51473D94D392.jpeg

OP
OP
ExpatFish

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a Chalice before, bought a piece of a larger one from a low that looked fairly well grown out. It had a little bit of peeling when I got it, but it’s been getting worse. Tried moving lower onto the sand bed for lower lighting and peeling got worse...

Core parameters are normal, kbh 8, ph 8.1. It currently gets 150-200 par in the spot it is in with med water flow. Use coral AB+ on echo tech xr30

Any saving this fella?

315CCF16-7FBE-43B6-B270-51473D94D392.jpeg
For comparison, this is what it looked like when I first got it two weeks ago

Attachments

• BC15ECC7-1745-4745-ADBC-CBF2332D780B.jpeg
    BC15ECC7-1745-4745-ADBC-CBF2332D780B.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 41

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look good. I don't know that I'll be able to offer any helpful advice but I'm guessing it's a hollywood stunner, and if so from my experience they are not too picky on light or flow. My biggest colony is under low light and medium flow in tank and grows like a weed, but I've also seen tanks that have massive colonies of it with high light placement thrive as well.
Just curious do you know your phosphate and nitrate levels?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? I lost a couple of these early on, but once my tank matured past the one year mark, they grow very quickly no matter where I have them located.

Sometimes you just have to wait for your tank to mature a little bit.
IMG_20210402_134357762~2.jpg
IMG_20210402_134449757.jpg
IMG_20210402_134434767.jpg

OP
OP
ExpatFish

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look good. I don't know that I'll be able to offer any helpful advice but I'm guessing it's a hollywood stunner, and if so from my experience they are not too picky on light or flow. My biggest colony is under low light and medium flow in tank and grows like a weed, but I've also seen tanks that have massive colonies of it with high light placement thrive as well.
Just curious do you know your phosphate and nitrate levels?
I only have the API kit so not sure how reliable it is... but both read 0. I know the nitrate one works, my last tank was a 45G with a canister filter... nitrate was a nightmare. Now have sump with fuge and skimmer. Also feed way less (only nori in am and frozen something at night)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the API kit so not sure how reliable it is... but both read 0. I know the nitrate one works, my last tank was a 45G with a canister filter... nitrate was a nightmare. Now have sump with fuge and skimmer. Also feed way less (only nori in am and frozen something at night)
The API test for both nitrate and phosphate are pretty bad. Nitrate test is okay if your levels aren't really low, and the phosphate test is basically worthless because the lowest it will read is really really high for a reef tank.
IME if your nitrate and phosphate levels are indeed zero then it is hard to keep corals alive. When my tank was new I was always fighting zero nitrate and every coral I'd put in my tank would have the colors fade and then slowly have the tissue disintegrate similar to your picture.
I'd say that coral is probably a goner but if I were you I'd work on getting my nitrates and phosphates up from zero, if they are actually zero.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back