Cheap colony

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this colony up from my lfs, they dont seem to open really and they seem really tiny compared to other zoas I've come across. Are these repair zoas or somthing else?

OP
OP
Cryptocaryon

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this colony up from my lfs, they dont seem to open really and they seem really tiny compared to other zoas I've come across. Are these repair zoas or somthing else?

20200110_154647.jpg

wkd4b11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip the colony before adding it to your tank?
Also from what I can see they look like the "pinwheel" type zoa which tend to be slightly smaller size polyp

OP
OP
Cryptocaryon

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip the colony before adding it to your tank?
Also from what I can see they look like the "pinwheel" type zoa which tend to be slightly smaller size polyp
Hi, yes I dipped them before hand, they were not open in the lfs either and have been in my tank for a week now. Pinwheel zoa aha never heard of them. Thank you

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas react differently to lighting and flow, lower in the tank under less par and more flow they are smaller in size, higher in the tank they get bigger almost Poly size. give them sometime they should open up when they acclimate a little more. ive had some open right away, ive had some not open for days then all the sudden they are huge. We all know how finicky corals can be.

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could potentially have nudibranch. What coral dip did you use?

I had a similar case on my zoa rock. Came to found out it had nudibranch on it, the bad kind. They lay their eggs in a string like form, similar to what I see at the bottom of your rock.

Bayer dip and melanurus wrasse took care of it for me.

wkd4b11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yes I dipped them before hand, they were not open in the lfs either and have been in my tank for a week now. Pinwheel zoa aha never heard of them. Thank you

Only reason I asked was because it looks like it came straight from the wholesaler. High possibility of pests like zoa eating nudibranches, but you said you dipped so as long as you didn't see anything come off or any eggs on the polyps, then I don't think that's the issue.

Anything in your tank that could be nipping on the zoas? Otherwise, they might just need a few more days to settle in.

OP
OP
Cryptocaryon

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could potentially have nudibranch. What coral dip did you use?

I had a similar case on my zoa rock. Came to found out it had nudibranch on it, the bad kind. They lay their eggs in a string like form, similar to what I see at the bottom of your rock.

Bayer dip and melanurus wrasse took care of it for me.
I used coral rx pro, I think you are looking at tube worms at the bottom

20200110_171743.jpg

OP
OP
Cryptocaryon

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I asked was because it looks like it came straight from the wholesaler. High possibility of pests like zoa eating nudibranches, but you said you dipped so as long as you didn't see anything come off or any eggs on the polyps, then I don't think that's the issue.

Anything in your tank that could be nipping on the zoas? Otherwise, they might just need a few more days to settle in.
No I didnt see anything they look clean to me. To be honest I'm in that my tank just cant support zoas category.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back