"Cheaper" aquarium equipment that performs well. Your opinions?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Cheaper" aquarium equipment that performs well. Your opinions?

Thought it would be good to start a list of aquarium equipment that is on the lower side of the spending scale that performs well for the price.

cheaper_zpse27adf7e.jpg

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice melt (calcium chloride) for calcium dosing and Baking soda for Alkalinity dosing.

Sent from my iPad

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good point. I was thinking more on the lines of equipment but good idea to add this!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of the more economical equipment works just fine but i don't think it last any longer than the good stuff. Leds for example should not be overlooked for cheaper ones. Anyway us die hard reefers are always upgrading we like spending our money on goodies.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second the SWC cone skimmers they are great for the price.

Another one is my Aquastyleonline.com LED kit on my biocube. Great light for the price

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely say Bubble Magus skimmers kick but for the $. I know I love mine! :)

Every 3-4 days I get a nice collection:
IMAG0370_zpsadb43d55.jpg

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCA Skimmers. Bubble Mag knock off at an AMAZING price!! Love my 301. Also, I know people aren't a big fan but, Odyssea T5HO fixtures. I've have my 48" fixture for 8 months now. Just swapped my stock bulbs for ATI but even the stocks grew all my corals just fine. Before the 48" I had a 20" fixture and that ran great for well over a year, before the upgrade.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll bump this back up for more discussion. Let's see what people are saying in 2018! :D

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SCA Skimmers. Bubble Mag knock off at an AMAZING price!! Love my 301. Also, I know people aren't a big fan but, Odyssea T5HO fixtures. I've have my 48" fixture for 8 months now. Just swapped my stock bulbs for ATI but even the stocks grew all my corals just fine. Before the 48" I had a 20" fixture and that ran great for well over a year, before the upgrade.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

People do not like Odyssea not because they do not work, they do not like them because they catch on fire and should not be sold. Another product that should be removed is the coralife digital power center.

Last edited:

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do not like Odyssea not because they do not work, they do not like them because they catch on fire and should not be sold. Another product that should be removed is the coralife digital power center.

Ive owned several Odyssea products in the past and have never had a single issue with any of them. I believe what you are referring to were issues they had in the past with much older product. My current 4 bulb, 48" T5 fixture Ive had for the better part of 6 years now with zero issues.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao powerheads. I do use a return pump of theirs on my less critical fowlr, but I probably would on everything except my main display. Part of that is my eheim 1262 has been going for almost 12 years straight less when I moved and the rare times I clean it. Every powerhead will fail. Every return pump will fail too including my trusty eheim. If one of my jeabo wavemakers breaks I'll get a new one in a couple of days. I got them after ecotech pumps failed. Bang for buck I think they are great. It's not just that they are cheaper the flow patterns work pretty good for me too. If it fails twice as fast that's fine when it's 3 or 4x cheaper.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back