Check valve for new sump

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, check valves are a potencial huge risk in a reef tank (or any tank). I do not use it and I will not use it.

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy two check valves with unions on the ends, doesnt have to be that really expensive one from BRS, they have cheaper ones, then install a valve in the line before the display, then once a month during ur water change, shut off the valve and change out just the check part , with the other one and soak the other in vinegar for a week or so to clean it!! No holes drilled that **** don't work it just clogs with crap, !!!

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My George Fischer y-check hasn't failed me yet. They are pricey for one, but quality and easily cleanable. At least 5 years use. I do however have enough room in the sump just in case.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad thing about check valves is they get clogged up easily and don't function properly.

Bozoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valves have no place in a reef tank and are a false sense of security.
Design the returns and sump correctly and you will never ever have a problem and you can sleep peacefully at night.
You stated it only drops 1" before the siphon breaks and most any sump can hold that small amount extra so why would you even consider drilled holes and check valves that will both require regular maintenance and fail anyway? You already have an air gap at 1" drop and that is the best form of backflow prevention known to man, requires zero maintenance, costs nothing and cannot fail since we all know water cannot jump uphill.
Makes no sense to me?

Listen to this man. He speaks the gospel right here! Murphy's law should at the forefront of every plumbing design.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would get rid of the CPR overflow which depends on the Aqualifter which can fail, and go with a simple U or J tube type overflow. Eshopps and Lifereef make extremely reliable overflows. You couldn't give me a CPR.
I was lookn at the eshopps then thatbghost overflow that caused a stink and used 3 pipes. What overflow shouldningonwith the eshopps or that ghost 1. Not 2 TJ. Thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back