Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still plagued with brown stuff.
IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG
My sand has looked like that for months..........no clue. ) notrates and phosphates, I do WC 20% every 2 weeks. tried vibrant but was only gifted with cyano.

DJO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is turning off the lights necessary for Chemiclean to work? Does it improve your results? The package does not say anything about lights, but I have seen comments online about turning off lights.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is turning off the lights necessary for Chemiclean to work? Does it improve your results? The package does not say anything about lights, but I have seen comments online about turning off lights.

Lights shouldn’t impact the effect on cyano, but it will impact whether algae starts to grow.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you treat your tank with ChemiClean your going to be releasing allot of toxins and dead bacteria in your tank. I would, and everyone I know that's used it, do a wc. The directions state to complete a 20% wc after 48 hrs. You'll probably need to turn off your PS so you need to put an airstone or something in your system to keep your oxygen levels up. There's no need to keep in your tank what you've just tried to, or did, kill off;) The treatments are just a bandaid though, you need to figure out what caused it in the first place. I caused mine by over feeding:confused:

I wonder what is special about a 20% water change? 80% of the toxin would still be there. I wonder if this just a feel good exercise.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanareefers 24 month persistent diatom issue prompting the dosing of chemiclean and other methods was the sole motivation for making the sand rinse thread which is on 4th continual year.

That we never could get the OPs tank in for rinse + surgery left a critical prediction untested so we had to find other participants. I’m one thousand percent sure based on collected works we would have fixed it in a weekend. Not with 80% change, 150% change plus sand rinsing plus rock rinsing, the polar opposite of prudent was the indicated measure for Nanareefers tank

If I’m not mistaken later updates showed it under better control but it would be neat to see literal updates from today.

DJO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still plagued with brown stuff.
IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG
I have brown algae that looks like your picture after treating with Chemiclean according to their instructions. It started about a week after the water change. It is not as bad as the cyano, but l would like to get rid of it. I added some cheato to the system but it has not helped. My phosphate is about 0.2 and nitrate is about 30. I have some hair algae, mostly on the back wall of the tank. I feed sun corals (Tubastrea) every other day, alternating roids and a mixture of frozen brine shrimp and chopped frozen scallops.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chemipure help purify and stabilze, NOT prevent water changes. Water changes replenish absorbed minerals and traces whereas ChemiPure will not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back