Chromis and uronema

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep these fish alive..
I really want a group of chromis but I have tried twice now with 2 different groups in quarantine and have lost them all to this disease.
I'm treating them with metroplex and coppersafe. With the second group I had the meds on hand and dosed them as soon as I put the fish in the quarantine and they still got it.
Im currently down to 4 of the 10 fish of this last group but 2 of them have the red sores now so I'm sure I will lose these 4 as well.

I have not tried any dips or freshwater baths with this last group but I did freshwater dip a couple fish in the first group after seeing red spots and that seemed to only make them worse.
I know tank transfer is an option but I only have one quarantine tank to use..

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing the metro at twice the dosage? I believe this is what @HotRocks said was key to knocking down Uronema.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you sure it’s uronema? 10 chromis in a tank usually doesn’t work as they kill each other.

Also, have you sterilized the tanks between QT? uronema survives indefinitely in water.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s uronema? 10 chromis in a tank usually doesn’t work as they kill each other.

Also, have you sterilized the tanks between QT? uronema survives indefinitely in water.
Pretty positive. And yes I left the tank completely dry for a couple weeks between groups.
624e52cde6431aa0ab11319547c72462.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty positive. And yes I left the tank completely dry for a couple weeks between groups.
624e52cde6431aa0ab11319547c72462.jpg

Unfortunately, usually once you see the symptoms it is too late. In your case I would do formalin or acriflavine baths to give the antibiotics a chance to work. You should also feed metro in addition to dosing to the tank.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, usually once you see the symptoms it is too late. In your case I would do formalin or acriflavine baths to give the antibiotics a chance to work. You should also feed metro in addition to dosing to the tank.
Oh I know it's probably too late for these guys. What I don't understand is how to keep them from getting it.. They had no signs when I got them and I started medicating from day 1

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know it's probably too late for these guys. What I don't understand is how to keep them from getting it.. They had no signs when I got them and I started medicating from day 1

They probably came with it. It’s very common for fish to remain asymptomatic to uronema.

If you can get try ruby rally baths and feed metro bound to seachem focus.

The only other thing to do is make sure all equipment and tank are sterilized between uses.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a bath do any good after red sores are present? Or would that just do more harm

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with treating chromis with copper? I have been using copper and metroplex and I'm wondering if the copper is why I'm having trouble since I know it surpresses immune system..

I have another group now that I started off with a rally bath and then put them straight into a quarantine with copper and metro and they still got the disease.. I'm getting super bummed, I really want some of these guys in my tank

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with treating chromis with copper? I have been using copper and metroplex and I'm wondering if the copper is why I'm having trouble since I know it surpresses immune system..

I have another group now that I started off with a rally bath and then put them straight into a quarantine with copper and metro and they still got the disease.. I'm getting super bummed, I really want some of these guys in my tank

Uronema is depressing ugh, this is why I haven’t tried Chromis. Maybe starting with just Metro in the water and food would work to let the fish’s immune system start working against this then come in with copper to finish it off. I’m not an expert with Uronema just a fellow victim.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these groups of fish all from the same original source? If so and these don't make it, perhaps try sourcing some elsewhere.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 2 groups were from my local fish store. This last group was ordered from liveaquaria

Wow, that's not good that the most recent group is also afflicted. :(

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back