Uronema in Quarantine Tank

Sapph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten a pair of blue/green chromis and noticed that one of them had a red mark on its side, I have since returned them to my LFS as I have only purchased them the day before. My issue is as I have kept them in my quarantine tank their tank mates were a brood of black mollies that I have raised in salt water since birth.
My question is what can I do to ensure that the mollies do not get uronema if that was what the chromis had? (I can attach below their photos that I took before returning them)
My eventual plan is to place my mollies in my DT, I want to make sure they grow up a bit before I do so.

Attachments

• IMG_8861.MOV
    12.5 MB
  • IMG_8860.mov
    4.8 MB

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is one of those diseases that’s present in every system. There’s not much you can do short of bleaching the whole system.
Typically it only affects the individual fish with it, or those that are highly susceptible (chromis, anthias, halichoeres wrasses), but the others should be fine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uronema is one of those diseases that’s present in every system. There’s not much you can do short of bleaching the whole system.
Typically it only affects the individual fish with it, or those that are highly susceptible (chromis, anthias, halichoeres wrasses), but the others should be fine.
One thing that can be done is to ensure there is no overfeeding, good detritus removal. The Uronema can live without fish - but does need to 'eat' I'm not sure how likely mollies are to get uronema - and its also not necessarily recommended to use them as 'the canary in the coal mine' for a variety of reasons.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have gotten a pair of blue/green chromis and noticed that one of them had a red mark on its side, I have since returned them to my LFS as I have only purchased them the day before. My issue is as I have kept them in my quarantine tank their tank mates were a brood of black mollies that I have raised in salt water since birth.
My question is what can I do to ensure that the mollies do not get uronema if that was what the chromis had? (I can attach below their photos that I took before returning them)
My eventual plan is to place my mollies in my DT, I want to make sure they grow up a bit before I do so.
First thing to do is assure you don’t have low salinity which is often a trigger followed by uneaten food laying in an area if the tank.
Being opportunistic, mollies should be ok. But you can safeguard them with ruby rally pro or general cure in the qt tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
usually - low salinity is beneficial to velvet (for the general interest) - I'm not sure its so much a deal for uronema

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back