Uronema or Injury?

SecurePayment

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I picked up 3 black bar chromis yesterday and they looked great and ate immediately. Aside from a pink streaked wrasse, they are the only fish in the tank since it was set up. This morning I noticed one of the chromis has what looks like an open sore around the base of the tail and a ciralonid isopod attached to its back. The isopod dropped off after I got back from work and the chromis is still behaving normally and eating. Could the sore be from the isopod or is this Uronema? I used TBS live rock to start the tank and only managed to trap two isopods in a week and thought I got them all but apparently not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6019.jpeg IMG_6015.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

I picked up 3 black bar chromis yesterday and they looked great and ate immediately. Aside from a pink streaked wrasse, they are the only fish in the tank since it was set up. This morning I noticed one of the chromis has what looks like an open sore around the base of the tail and a ciralonid isopod attached to its back. The isopod dropped off after I got back from work and the chromis is still behaving normally and eating. Could the sore be from the isopod or is this Uronema? I used TBS live rock to start the tank and only managed to trap two isopods in a week and thought I got them all but apparently not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6019.jpeg IMG_6015.jpeg
Not uronema and looks like an injurt and with tear in fin . . . injury from aggression. What other fish are in the tank?
Because of the redness, I would suggest at minimum, adding ruby rally pro to the tank and at best, treat the fish in a separate tank using either Seachem Neoplex or Kanaplex. Keep an eye on it for improvement obviously

OP
OP
S

SecurePayment

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not uronema and looks like an injurt and with tear in fin . . . injury from aggression. What other fish are in the tank?
Because of the redness, I would suggest at minimum, adding ruby rally pro to the tank and at best, treat the fish in a separate tank using either Seachem Neoplex or Kanaplex. Keep an eye on it for improvement obviously
Thanks for confirming it’s not Uronema! I will start quarantining it in a separate tank. The only fish in the tank are 3 black bar chromis and a pink streaked wrasse. There is also an isopod that I saw attached to it in the morning. Could it be from the isopod?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for confirming it’s not Uronema! I will start quarantining it in a separate tank. The only fish in the tank are 3 black bar chromis and a pink streaked wrasse. There is also an isopod that I saw attached to it in the morning. Could it be from the isopod?
that redness can be - yes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal Uronema is most often seen in the main body of fish, not the tail.

I suspect damage from the isopod - those are not true parasites, more like micropredators, and can cause tissue damage like this as they feed.

OP
OP
S

SecurePayment

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal Uronema is most often seen in the main body of fish, not the tail.

I suspect damage from the isopod - those are not true parasites, more like micropredators, and can cause tissue damage like this as they feed.
Thank you for confirming! I managed to trap the isopods last night and the chromis looks like it’s beginning to heal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back