Chromis in QT with scales discoloration

TwinReefDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help determining what is going on with a new Chromis that I currently have in QT. In the tank are 3 Chromis, 1 Clown, and one Tomini Tang. Currently running 2.5ppm Copper Power and just dosed API General Cure. This is day 3 of QT. I just noticed the discoloration pattern on this Chromis today. It almost looks like he is being picked on by the other fish, and these are wounds from fighting. All the other fish look normal. The 3 Chromis eat voraciously. The Clown eats well. The Tomini tang has not eaten yet but otherwise seems fine hanging out in its PVC pipe. Thoughts?

20230425_225032.jpg

20230425_224940.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looking for some help determining what is going on with a new Chromis that I currently have in QT. In the tank are 3 Chromis, 1 Clown, and one Tomini Tang. Currently running 2.5ppm Copper Power and just dosed API General Cure. This is day 3 of QT. I just noticed the discoloration pattern on this Chromis today. It almost looks like he is being picked on by the other fish, and these are wounds from fighting. All the other fish look normal. The 3 Chromis eat voraciously. The Clown eats well. The Tomini tang has not eaten yet but otherwise seems fine hanging out in its PVC pipe. Thoughts?

20230425_225032.jpg

20230425_224940.jpg
Pics are a little fuzzy but while it looks like pigment may also be bite marks
Need clearer pics under white lighting to best determine
If bites marks, will heal on its own as long as continuous behavior is not inflicted
Chromis are known to bicker and fight amongst themselves

OP
OP
T

TwinReefDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are a little fuzzy but while it looks like pigment may also be bite marks
Need clearer pics under white lighting to best determine
If bites marks, will heal on its own as long as continuous behavior is not inflicted
Chromis are known to bicker and fight amongst themselves
Thanks, for the response. If the 3 are not getting along, that Chromis tends to be the one-off on his own, but most of the time, they are all together. My first thought was what you said, it being bite marks. I will try to get some better pictures in the morning.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, this looks like bite marks. Chromis often fight with one another, which is odd for a "schooling" species. The fighting seems worse in smaller groups.

There is also Uronema, an internal protozoan disease that this species is prone to, but that usually shows as single open wounds on the side of the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
T

TwinReefDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: The 3 Chromis made it through QT, and the one with the odd marks is doing great (the others are too). It still has the markings but no other signs of disease and is happy with its buddies in my display tank. It must have been some scars from infighting. The clown also made it through QT and has already paired with my existing clown. Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts on the Chromis.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back