Cincinnati Fish Stores

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved to the Cincinnati area (Florence, KY technically), but am looking for good LFS around me.

I live near World of Pets in Florence, KY which is alright, but looking for something a little bigger.

Anyone in the area have any recommendations?

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved to the Cincinnati area (Florence, KY technically), but am looking for good LFS around me.

I live near World of Pets in Florence, KY which is alright, but looking for something a little bigger.

Anyone in the area have any recommendations?

Hey there! I live in Florence as well. Small world. World of Pets in my opinion is the least favorite of the local three to visit. There is Monfort Aquarium and Pet Store in Cincinnati which is a bit of a hike but a great store for fish and some select corals.

My absolute favorite though is Discover Aquatics off 275 in Ft Wright. Check them out on facebook. Super active and very friendly. After my first visit they remembered me, my profession, and the kind of tank I talked about. The place is currently expanding for a larger display tank and new frag system so they may look a hot mess but 2nd to none in the area in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very small world. I figured with how little activity there is in here, I wouldn't get a response.

I have been to World of Pets probably 5 times, bought some stuff a few times. Not impressed. Overpriced for what I got. Had 1 bad experience with the guys there, so don't plan on going back.

I just finished my cycle on my new IM 25 Lagoon, so might check out Discover Aquatics tomorrow and get a few CUC from them.

Will put Monfort on my list to drive to next time I am up north of the city.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very small world. I figured with how little activity there is in here, I wouldn't get a response.

I have been to World of Pets probably 5 times, bought some stuff a few times. Not impressed. Overpriced for what I got. Had 1 bad experience with the guys there, so don't plan on going back.

I just finished my cycle on my new IM 25 Lagoon, so might check out Discover Aquatics tomorrow and get a few CUC from them.

I am working towards getting my 90 gallon up and running. Set back after set back but I'm getting ready to plumb. I have two QT's set up though for fish and coral and have been moving pieces into there to get the ball rolling.

I have had similar experiences with WoP, very pushy and their livestock does not look the best. Dead fish in tanks, not fresh dead either but several days old degrading. Aptasia and bubble algae on every piece of live rock.

You'll be very happy with Discover Aquatics.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to KY. I live in Union just south of Florence. I agree with @JBKReef- Discover Aquatics is my favorite shop as well. The owners are super friendly and just seem like good folks. I bet 75% of my 45g is stocked with fish and coral bought from their store. There's a local reef club- www.cincyreef.com and next week 11/16 @ 6pm Discover Aquatics is hosting their monthly meeting.

I've been to Monfort Aquarium. They have a very small frag selection but usually good size colonies and prices are decent. There's also Aquarium Artisans in Cincinnati. Huge frag selection and other decent sized items. The thing I notice at their store is the lights are intense and everything looked a little bleached. I haven't been there in about 2 months though.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to KY. I live in Union just south of Florence. I agree with @JBKReef- Discover Aquatics is my favorite shop as well. The owners are super friendly and just seem like good folks. I bet 75% of my 45g is stocked with fish and coral bought from their store. There's a local reef club- www.cincyreef.com and next week 11/16 @ 6pm Discover Aquatics is hosting their monthly meeting.

I've been to Monfort Aquarium. They have a very small frag selection but usually good size colonies and prices are decent. There's also Aquarium Artisans in Cincinnati. Huge frag selection and other decent sized items. The thing I notice at their store is the lights are intense and everything looked a little bleached. I haven't been there in about 2 months though.

@nkyreef you answered a variation of this question for me a couple months ago and that's how I found Discover. Thanks again.

I've never been to a meeting previously but would like to join the club, thanks for the information.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nkyreef you answered a variation of this question for me a couple months ago and that's how I found Discover. Thanks again.

I've never been to a meeting previously but would like to join the club, thanks for the information.

Hey there I remember! Glad that you liked Discover. I'm a member (not very active though) of CincyReef but never attended a meeting. I hope to be at this one though.

Thanks for the info @nkyreef

I am definitely interested in joining as well. I will look into it!
Awesome. There's also a frag swap coming up in January I believe for CincyReef. Last year it was packed with vendors. Good luck with your new lagoon.

MacD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to the area! I've only been there once, but about 30 mins from you is Aquarium Artisans. They are not a huge store, but they do have a selection of saltwater fish and corals and there is a coral sale going on right now - to include several nice size SPS from 1- 4 inches.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Gerbers in Dayton Ohio. Tons of selection of fish, coral and anything else you need. It’s an hour drive for me but worth it

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out aquarium artisans.
They are definitely have some of the more knowledgeable and with-the-times staff.
They do client builds and maintenance so, though opinionated, they have lots and lots and lots of experience.
Plus the fish prices are super fair!

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old thread but bumping this back up for more responses.
my tank is currently going through the cycling phase, so it's time to start thinking about livestock again.

I used to shop Gerbers, but have seen a lot of negative reviews as of late.
I used to shop at Monfort, bought a few fish from there, no complaints. I'd go back there again.

I have Discover Aquatics on my list to check out. Haven't been there before.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back