Cipro Question

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably fine (but no UV), but what are you dosing it for?

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used in tank,

I turned my UV off and let the skimmer drain into the sump. Left the roller Matt running as usual.

As Cipro is degraded by light, I did close the drain on the skimmer in the late afternoon to skim some daily fish business off for a few hours before adding the next dose in the evening.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d cut the infected piece off and dip the healthy in iodine and never use cipro but that’s just me… I’ve never had it spread by doing just that! I’ve worked so hard to build my biome I’d never destroy it in a day with any antibiotic… :upside-down-face:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure its brown jelly and not just coral expelling zooxanthellae?

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No one cares about the fish. What about the poor fish?!? :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
This stuff can spread fast. I lost around 9 heads/corals in 30 hours on both sides of my tank. It my opinion based on 6 hours of reading that it's my best cost of action. I have a plan to help restore the good that is lost by 1) putting bacteria back in the tank in liquid form for many weeks and 2) I have 30 pounds of TBS rubble that I will put in a reactor and feed the tank. Can't chance this **** lingering around.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff can spread fast. I lost around 9 heads/corals in 30 hours on both sides of my tank. It my opinion based on 6 hours of reading that it's my best cost of action. I have a plan to help restore the good that is lost by 1) putting bacteria back in the tank in liquid form for many weeks and 2) I have 30 pounds of TBS rubble that I will put in a reactor and feed the tank. Can't chance this **** lingering around.
I would not add any bacteria back, there's will be enough to keep things going. The cipro is hopefully mitigating the spread. Do not do anything to promote bacteria growth, no carbon dosing, no Amino Acids, no AB+. All these contribute to bacteria (good and bad) growth.
Do we know what is in the bottles of bacteria, and is it helping or hurting in your circumstance?
I think the corals and rocks nurture what is necessary, the above additives may upset the balance.

My 2$

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. I lost a number of corals over the course of 48-72 hours with others looking sick. Furthermore based on the study / protocol I found/ used for jelly the dosage required is so small it really doesn’t seem to have a significant effect on many of the bacteria such as nitrifying. I’m sure it has an impact else it wouldn’t work but some bacteria are more affected than others - Eg it surely has reduced diversity some but i think it was worth it in my case as does the OP….

I personally have no plans to dose any bacteria unless I run into problems as I don’t believe the biome is affected to the point where such is required. What I will do, and was already planning on doing now that my tank is matruring and holding a lot more critters. Is corals will start to be run thru my other tank first for at least a couple weeks before being promoted.

Last edited:

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pistondog @FernBluffReef what do you guys think about after the dosing period doing one of those tests that test the bacteria in your tank. I can’t think of the name, not ICP, Aqua something.
Without a baseline (relatively recent prior test) I'm not sure if we'd learn anything. Eg we'd have to know how diverse the community was in the first place else / what species were there in the first place else just guessing at how it was impacted.

My tank is relatively new still. Just about 4 months, started with dryrock and bottle bac so I don't think I could make any reasonable assumptions hence why I lean towards the studies that others did which seemed pretty sound to me else I would not have dosed low dose in tank. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...ic-treatments-for-brown-jelly-disease.782438/

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW. I just wrapped up my treatment by ~2 days ago.

I moved the corals that I thought were goners into my office tank figuring they would die but why not try and treated both tanks.

I Ended up saving one hammer head - of course from one I didn't really like :). The other two I moved are gone save a large hammer head had three babies on the flesh band and they seem like they may actually have a chance. The main display knock on wood hasn't shown any further degradation. Lost a couple other corals before I reacted.

I'll be more careful in the future as to acclimation / qt

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back