Clean up crew for a 210 and a 40 gallon tank

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tessalata aswell as a lunar wrasse and a cleaner wrasse and a Niger trigger.

In my 40 gallon I have a stout moray and i am planning to move the Niger trigger to the 40 gallon since he is still too small for my 30 inch tessalata eel and may risk getting eaten

The stout moray is around 18 to 24 inches but looks like he can still grow and my tessalata 30 inches so I wanted a robust and a strong cleanup crew i don't have algae problems so mainly for leftover food the eels throw over

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tessalata aswell as a lunar wrasse and a cleaner wrasse and a Niger trigger.

In my 40 gallon I have a stout moray and i am planning to move the Niger trigger to the 40 gallon since he is still too small for my 30 inch tessalata eel and may risk getting eaten

The stout moray is around 18 to 24 inches but looks like he can still grow and my tessalata 30 inches so I wanted a robust and a strong cleanup crew i don't have algae problems so mainly for leftover food the eels throw over
I forgot to mention that I currently have purse crabs which I got from the beach aswell as a snail i don't know the exact species but it's a sand burrowing snail extremely active and only coming out once in a while in my 210g but I don't have any cleanup crew in my 40g

Attachments

• 1702980932624.jpg
    1702980932624.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 53

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sand burying snail is the best kind in an eel tank, I'm not sure exactly which species that one is, but it's the nasarrius which is the best. These snails are the ones that will eat leftover food. Brittle stars are also good ,as well as hermits. Turbo snails for algae, astrea, and cerith; but your niger and wrasse may be picking them off. So snails and hermits could go down with the niger and wrasse, if you're that set on a cuc, replacing them from time to time is the cost of doing business. The crabs may also become a snack for the trigger.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank with eels, triggers and lions I use tiger conches. They burrow in the sand. I also have hermits in there, they stick to the rocks so my tusk doesnt get at them. I added a sea hare for algae and a cucumber for left over stuff. They all work great in keeping the tank clean!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use halloween hermits. They are big and boy are they nasty, they pinched the crap out of Ghost (my snowflake) when she tried to eat one. She hasnt gone after them since lol

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sand burying snail is the best kind in an eel tank, I'm not sure exactly which species that one is, but it's the nasarrius which is the best. These snails are the ones that will eat leftover food. Brittle stars are also good ,as well as hermits. Turbo snails for algae, astrea, and cerith; but your niger and wrasse may be picking them off. So snails and hermits could go down with the niger and wrasse, if you're that set on a cuc, replacing them from time to time is the cost of doing business. The crabs may also become a snack for the trigger.
I guess I was lucky enough to find the nasarrius at the beach but as for the crabs i did wonder why I was seeing some crab carcasses in my tank so i now know who to blame I added some small ceriths and gosh they are slow makes me worried if they are dead or alive since I don't want one dying in the tank and causing an ammonia spike I also did see the lunar and cleaner picking on one of the ceriths so that makes sense maybe I will just get the nasarrius snails since he's quite big the wrasses don't go near him as for the hermits I don't know if I should take the risk of a hermit eating my nasarrius i do have the nasarrius for about 8 months so I would be quite sad if something happened to him I might go to the beach and try to get some more snails since the lfs is about a 8 hour drive from here. thanks for the info! What do you think about adding an linckia star in the 210g? With the tessalata

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank with eels, triggers and lions I use tiger conches. They burrow in the sand. I also have hermits in there, they stick to the rocks so my tusk doesnt get at them. I added a sea hare for algae and a cucumber for left over stuff. They all work great in keeping the tank clean!
I might consider adding conches in the 40g and some nasarrius snails in the 210 thanks for the suggestion!

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was lucky enough to find the nasarrius at the beach but as for the crabs i did wonder why I was seeing some crab carcasses in my tank so i now know who to blame I added some small ceriths and gosh they are slow makes me worried if they are dead or alive since I don't want one dying in the tank and causing an ammonia spike I also did see the lunar and cleaner picking on one of the ceriths so that makes sense maybe I will just get the nasarrius snails since he's quite big the wrasses don't go near him as for the hermits I don't know if I should take the risk of a hermit eating my nasarrius i do have the nasarrius for about 8 months so I would be quite sad if something happened to him I might go to the beach and try to get some more snails since the lfs is about a 8 hour drive from here. thanks for the info! What do you think about adding an linckia star in the 210g? With the tessalata
I don't think you would have to worry too much about an ammonia spike for a dead cerith. Especially with a tank that size!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you would have to worry too much about an ammonia spike for a dead cerith. Especially with a tank that size!
You might be right but I will probably stick to the nasarrius he's really active and entertaining to watch than a cerith I would say

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right but I will probably stick to the nasarrius he's really active and entertaining to watch than a cerith I would say
Oh absolutely, apologies I think I misread your post.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I had a gang of nasarrius in one tank, and when I fed, these monsters would pop up out the sand like a flock of zombies searching for brains.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just moved my Niger trigger to my 40g tank temporarily to avoid him getting eaten by my tessalata since my bird wrasse which was quite a lot bigger than my trigger disappeared and my stout moray seems fine with him since he is quite a bit bigger to swallow and i am not worried about the stout going for him since even he doesn't eat from my tongs if I don't make the food chunks small enough, but I also noticed that my Niger trigger lays down a lot and i mean a lot he does move around a bit but not as much so I wonder if he's alright here's a picture

Screenshot_2023-12-20-00-08-32-300_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I had a gang of nasarrius in one tank, and when I fed, these monsters would pop up out the sand like a flock of zombies searching for brains.
haha I do love myself some zombie movies and would definitely love that, gonna make sure to clean the beach whole of those snails for my tank

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keep an eye out and make sure he is eating. This can be a classic defensive posture triggers use. The niger will also lay on his side and fan his tail to wedge himself under the side of the rocks blowing sand all over the place. My niger used to love to mix it up with my jeweled eel. The niger always lost, was always scratched up but loved to wrestle.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye out and make sure he is eating. This can be a classic defensive posture triggers use. The niger will also lay on his side and fan his tail to wedge himself under the side of the rocks blowing sand all over the place. My niger used to love to mix it up with my jeweled eel. The niger always lost, was always scratched up but loved to wrestle.
Youre right he does love to hide between the rocks just wedging himself between them, he ate a few times in the 210g tank but at some point he didnt eat so I put him in the sump with more rocks in there and he did eat quite aggressively at that but then stopped eating for some reason i got worried that there might be internal worms again because I didn't treat him when I got him so I moved him to the 40g and he does look quite comfortable with the eel incase if he does eat again I will soak the food in a deworming medicine as a preventive

Alpha_The_Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning to question that species ID. How big is the specimen in inches?

I'm going on an eel quest!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I'm beginning to question that species ID. How big is the specimen in inches?

I'm going on an eel quest!
He's about 18 inches with the knowledge of being growing to about 24 inches identified the species by looking at the list of moray eel species living in the Indian Ocean since it's where they supposedly distributed it from

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back