cleaning/disinfecting zoas/palys

mikesin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Nice new site!
How do you guys/gals clean/disinfect any new zoas/palys that one gets?
is seachem reef dip ok?

Thanks

Christel Mei

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef dip if they look healthy.

If you are the SLIGHTEST bit suspect, as in they didnt look healthy at the LFS, you know it is a fresh wild colony, or you got them online, I would give them a 2 minute half a capsule of furan II / 1 cup of tank water dip. Wont hurt them at all and you will sleep better at night.

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the Furan II, but add a few drops of FlatwormExit and let them sit for 10-15 minutes and haven't lost any yet. I do this with all the new corals I put in my tank. It will not kill any eggs on the corals, but it should get rid of any other pests.

Christel Mei

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fresh water dip

Freshwaters bad, unless you can see some sort of nasty predator on the zoanthids. Otherwise you are just stressing the coral more.

A couple drops of FW exit wont hurt. I dont blame you for being paranoid if you have ever had those little eye sores!

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of putting zoas that I had gotten from a friend in one of my old tanks and with them came Nudis and it wipped out my entire colony of Bam Bam Oranges before I could get rid of all the little pests.
I also use the tropical marine pro coral cure on alot of my corals. After I run them in the Furan and FE dip I will put them in a bath of TMPCC for a few minutes, but I too have never used it on the zoas so I would be interested if anyone has. I know Kent's version says on the bottle not to use it on polyps.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back