Close up Comparison of Browser Vs. Candy Apple REds

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone needs to try and get Nanofins to take a comparison of all of his. I am pretty sure he owns: CARs, Bowsers, Shazams (not in question, but a similar morph) and Candy Apple Oranges. If he could set up all four & take a photo under different lighting I think it would calm the storm here and we can all go our separate ways...

In order to do that I'd have to rip the CAO and Shazaams off the rockwork which I don't feel like doing since everyone will still argue about whether or not they are the same even after the pictures. I don't really know that any more pictures would put this to rest. Having all four, I will state without hesitation that I think they are all similar morphs, probably worthy of being in some sort of type group, but they are also all different and unique and very worthwhile polyps to have.

If anyone thinks the hype around the Bowsers is about getting money back, talk to someone who's tried to buy a Bowser from me in the last year. I have yet to sell any polyps because I won't cut my piece up just for a little bit of monetary gratification that risks my beautiful coral. I've given away a few polyps to friends for backup and that's it, and that'll be all for some time until I grow mine out to my satisfaction. It does suck that they grow so darn slow.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to do that I'd have to rip the CAO and Shazaams off the rockwork which I don't feel like doing since everyone will still argue about whether or not they are the same even after the pictures. I don't really know that any more pictures would put this to rest. Having all four, I will state without hesitation that I think they are all similar morphs, probably worthy of being in some sort of type group, but they are also all different and unique and very worthwhile polyps to have.

If anyone thinks the hype around the Bowsers is about getting money back, talk to someone who's tried to buy a Bowser from me in the last year. I have yet to sell any polyps because I won't cut my piece up just for a little bit of monetary gratification that risks my beautiful coral. I've given away a few polyps to friends for backup and that's it, and that'll be all for some time until I grow mine out to my satisfaction. It does suck that they grow so darn slow.

Well said man. Your collection is ridiculous, I love going to your site and putting a wish list together. I agree with you that they are in the same "group" but all still different in their own way. I have seen the CARs and Bowsers together and you can see an obvious difference.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my photographer was over yesterday, and i had him take a picture of the two right up close. You can see the huge difference in the two. Please no Pms i dont have frags for sale just wanted to clarify the difference.

The picture shows a nice contrast between the two intensity-wise, but I still wonder why yours appear so red Kien? What sort of lighting are yours being kept under? I just ask because color on the Bowsers just looks way more red than they look in my tank. There doesn't really even seem to be that contrasting segregation between the yellow-orange center band and the outer rim of red-orange that I am used to seeing. Based on that picture I could see more readily why some might confuse them with a really brightly colored CAR. On my Bowsers, especially on new polyps, the yellow-orange center band dominates most of the oral disk, which I've never seen happen on a CAR.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture shows a nice contrast between the two intensity-wise, but I still wonder why yours appear so red Kien? What sort of lighting are yours being kept under? I just ask because color on the Bowsers just looks way more red than they look in my tank. There doesn't really even seem to be that contrasting segregation between the yellow-orange center band and the outer rim of red-orange that I am used to seeing. Based on that picture I could see more readily why some might confuse them with a really brightly colored CAR. On my Bowsers, especially on new polyps, the yellow-orange center band dominates most of the oral disk, which I've never seen happen on a CAR.

You hit it right on the head there Zack about the contrasting segragation between the yellow-orange..thats the most distinct characteristic of Bowsers.I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news until it was confirmed by someone who actually has all of them in their collection.But what i believe Kien has is an "ultra" strain of CARs or CAOs...i've seen Bowsers in pictures and in person and they are unmistakeable.I didn't get that impression with the pic posted.If you look at the newer polyps on the bottom of the "Bowser" colony, they look just like regular CARs.They don't have that yellow/orange domination like Zack mentioned.

and unless you use reef crack, there's no way you could've gotten that kind of growth in 2 years..they grow SLOOOOOW..

Last edited:

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a pic you posted Kien
79f1f18c.jpg

here's a pic Troy posted
3c8049d6.jpg

here's a pic Victor posted
bws.jpg

here's a pic Cesar posted.
DSC05448.jpg

now look at the second distinct characteristic of Bowsers,the blue around the mouth, it's exponentially bigger than CAR morphs(looks almost like a mound).Also look at the amount of green from the blue to the yellow on Victor and Cesar's Bowsers(very little) then look at the amount of green on Kien's and Troys "Bowsers"...I don't know,you be the judge.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one without green is chip count...
Dirtnasty
Kien
Troylee
All the same and exact in the Pics IMHO....
Btw I tried to frag mine and they didn't make it...:( I have the original but the frags i cut died..

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one without green is chip count...
Dirtnasty
Kien
Troylee
Btw I tried to frag mine and they didn't make it...:( I have the original but the frags i cut died..

darn that sux...it's definitely the nicest CAR morph i've seen:tongue:

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hit it right on the head there Zack about the contrasting segragation between the yellow-orange..thats the most distinct characteristic of Bowsers.I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news until it was confirmed by someone who actually has all of them in their collection.But what i believe Kien has is an "ultra" strain of CARs or CAOs...i've seen Bowsers in pictures and in person and they are unmistakeable.I didn't get that impression with the pic posted.If you look at the newer polyps on the bottom of the "Bowser" colony, they look just like regular CARs.They don't have that yellow/orange domination like Zack mentioned.

and unless you use reef crack, there's no way you could've gotten that kind of growth in 2 years..they grow SLOOOOOW..

I'm with you in principle on those sentiments. What throws me is that Kien said he got his from Dream Corals, and I'm pretty sure theirs are legit; unless there was some mistake in what they sent or Kien thought he got. I totally agree about your point about those baby polyps on Kien's colony too. Never seen any baby Bowser polyps start like that; they look identical to a CAR, not a Bowser. If you look in my picture below, the baby polyp beneath is mostly solid yellow-orange, which is what a baby Bowser typically looks like.

bowser_19086.jpg

Anyway, I don't mean to question the legitimacy of Kien's Bowsers, but they just throw me with the color being displayed. Based on those pictures I could see the argument that they're CAR's being strengthened.

I don't know, I feel like saying this reflects a lack of attention to the details, but I also don't mean to imply that you have to really squint to see the difference either; it's not minute. I guess to me saying they all look exactly the same is like saying that the Mustang's from the 60's to today are all EXACTLY the same because they're all Mustangs.

They're all Zoas/Palys. On a significant level of distinction, they are ALL the same, but we don't hold them as such in this niche of the hobby.

I'm really into freshwater dwarf cichlids. I specialize in a lot of Apistogramma species, of which there are over 70 species. Some are very different, some are not. To the uninitiated or new, they often think they all look the same and would be at a loss to see the differences. They are so similar on a basic level, but very different in significant ways and as with any field as you become familiar you are expected to start picking out details that separate one from another. Now I can tell one male Apisto of the same species from another based on little markings, finnage, or pigments while to to someone else they might as well be a neon tetra or an oscar for all they can tell.

Last edited:

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What throws me is that Kien said he got his from Dream Corals, and I'm pretty sure theirs are legit; unless there was some mistake in what they sent or Kien thought he got.

Kien had already stated in Cesar's thread that he lost the one he got staright from Jeremy but he was able to get another polyp from someone else.Jeremy also stated in that thread that they are not from him, i guess because they didn't look like his Bowsers....

Last edited:

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, I feel like saying this reflects a lack of attention to the details, but I also don't mean to imply that you have to really squint to see the difference either; it's not minute. I guess to me saying they all look exactly the same is like saying that the Mustang's from the 60's to today are all EXACTLY the same because they're all Mustangs.

i totally agree with this...but we can cut Troy a break, he's a stickhead :wink: To true polyp collectors the differences are easily distinguished.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kien had already stated in Cesar's thread that the one he got staright from Jeremy but he was able to get another polyp from someone else.Jeremy also stated in that thread that they are not from him, i guess because they didn't look like his Bowsers....

Ah, I see, then this would make me wonder more. Did the polyp Kien got from Jeremy grow like the ones pictured?

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see, then this would make me wonder more. Did the polyp Kien got from Jeremy grow like the ones pictured?
i guess That would be a question for Kien....But when i last talked to Jeremy he said he wholesaled a few polyps of what he said looked like CAOs to Kien around the same time so i dunno maybe Kien got them mixed up....:confuse:

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't we just chalk it up to 2 very nice polyps and leave it at that???

Not trying to be rude or disrespectful to anyone.....But I personally never understood all the drama a zoanthid can bring to the table.....If you like it and can afford it without taking away from your family then by all means buy it.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't we just chalk it up to 2 very nice polyps and leave it at that???

Not trying to be rude or disrespectful to anyone.....But I personally never understood all the drama a zoanthid can bring to the table.....If you like it and can afford it without taking away from your family then by all means buy it.

there's no arguement there.They're both great looking polyps but
if you like it and can afford it wouldn't you want to be sure you got what you paid for?......

there are reefers that collect all types of corals and there are reefers who focus only on collecting certain species,that's why we have threads like this.If you don't care for them then keep moving on but to some people it's worth talking about.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new... My problem is there not different polyps where is this difference every one is seeing???? 99 percent of people say it can only be seen in person???? What kind of crap is that these macro lens show way more detail than any human eye if it can't pick it how can you?????:tongue:

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's no arguement there.They're both great looking polyps but
if you like it and can afford it wouldn't you want to be sure you got what you paid for?......

there are reefers that collect all types of corals and there are reefers who focus only on collecting certain species,that's why we have threads like this.If you don't care for them then keep moving on but to some people it's worth talking about.

100% agree....If you are collecting a certain species then by all means make sure you are getting what is advertised......I always like a good discussion...lol.....I personally do not see a whole lot of difference between the 2.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of crap is that these macro lens show way more detail than any human eye if it can't pick it how can you?????

I dunno. That's the thing, I can see the difference. I see it plainly in all of the photos and I don't get why you can't, but obviously I can't argue with what you do or don't see. In person it's perhaps even more obvious, but I can tell a pic of a bowser from a CAR any day. The only one that has thrown me so far is Kien's and now ddiver has brought that particular colony into question. Apparently the colony Kien has pictured was not grown out from the polyp he got from DC, so now i'm curious to see a picture of the polyp mother colony from which they came, but for now I have to say that his pictures look more like a really nice CAR than a Bowser.

Last edited:

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail this discussion.....But Nanofins....I love your site...wish I had the time and space to do it Ballin'....you the man.....Love the FW stuff as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back