Closed loop pump sizing

TacticalDumb***

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 tank that was pre plumbed to be closed loop + sump separately so that’s the plumbing method I’m going with. Question is how big of a pump do I need and what brand(s) do you recommend? The tank will be a LPS and softie tank with the highest flow coral being gorgonians.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 125 tank that was pre plumbed to be closed loop + sump separately so that’s the plumbing method I’m going with. Question is how big of a pump do I need and what brand(s) do you recommend? The tank will be a LPS and softie tank with the highest flow coral being gorgonians.
I vote DC pump as well.
I use a Red Dragon 3, 150 watt ( 4500 gph) as my closed loop pump on my 240. I have it running at full power.
The return plumbing goes into my tank on the back wall at 4 points. Inside the tank I have loc-line Y's that split the 4 inlets into 8.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it need to rev up and down or is adjusting with a ball valve good enough? How quiet does it need to be? Got a budget? How much flow is kind of up to you. I probably wouldn't bother with anything less than 1000gph or so after head losses.
I use a Red Dragon 3, 150 watt ( 4500 gph) as my closed loop pump on my 240.
Speaking of budget, I bet that thing is sweet.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back