Cloudy Water

Fish Fanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank's water is very cloudy, but all of my chemicals are at zero. I don't know the reason for this, so if anyone as any sugestions or ideas I'd love the help.:)

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give us the paramaters from yout tank

Nitrate
phosphate
salinity
calcium
alk

tank size
flow rate
are you using any carbon?

OP
OP
Fish Fanatic

Fish Fanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate is at 0, I am using rust to control my phosphates, my salinity is around 1.022 and 1.023, my tank size is 30 gallons, my flow rate is medium, and i dont know about my calcium or alk.

OP
OP
Fish Fanatic

Fish Fanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, my tank has been cloudy for days. As for my coral spawing, I dont think any have because they haven't been in there for to long.

OP
OP
Fish Fanatic

Fish Fanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been going about a month to a month and a half. And yes I am using carbon.

OP
OP
Fish Fanatic

Fish Fanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am in the process of starting a sump. I'm waiting on the overflow I bought on ebay, but it should be ready to go by Tuesday.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of filter are you using right now? When i first started i had a 100 gallon tank with a cheapo aquaclear 500 hang on filter. and my water stayed cloudy for months. Once i added a sump with more filtration the water cleared right up.

good luck

OP
OP
Fish Fanatic

Fish Fanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just using the filter that came with the tank. My friend gave both the tank and filter to me for free, but he said the filter was really good. Within a week of using the filter, my tank was done cycling.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like it could possibly be an algae bloom. how long and what kind of lights are you runing?>

OP
OP
Fish Fanatic

Fish Fanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using four t5 lights. Two are white and two are blue. My tank has been running for a month and a half.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank isn't done cycling- not sure what gave you that impression after a week.

can you please give some details on the tank setup? did you start with live rock, dry rock, what brand filter (should be able to find a brand label on it somewhere?)

No- a sump will not clear up the cloudy water on it's own- a sump is merely an additional volume of water connected to the tank. What you put into the sump will determine how it helps you.

Do you have a skimmer on the tank?

OP
OP
Fish Fanatic

Fish Fanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded from a 10 gallon nano cube to a forty gallon tank. I took all the rock from the cube and put it in my larger tank along with some more live rock. I thought it was done cycling because all my chemicals were at zero after a week. I am going to buy a skimmer. (any suggestions?) I will also add carbon and rust to my sump.

Last edited:

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go buy a Brs carbon/gfo reactor and get it running. And you will need a skimmer some day but right now I would spend my chash on that.just my 2cents my reel. Levels alk 10 cal460 mag1600 I'm not sure what chemicals mean but as a noobee not trying to be rude I would ask the people here were best to spend your$ $$ as you go on your way to a happy reef. I have 5 skimmers that don't work and a list of stuff that sits going to the curb for pick up by the trash man

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back