Cloudy Water

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a bacterial bloom to me..... i would get a skimmer first and foremost...;) you could try changing like 5 percent of the water and see if it helps but if your still cycling it would slow it down... i would start dosing microbacter 7 its a nitrifiying bacteria and would help greatly here....

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok torylee I will say+ 1 on that. In the most part I was going off topic sorry but you get the point you say skimmer first but then skimmer $$$ I just was t in therehinking a cheap light in the sump when he gets it some cheap green stuff in the sump. And get a carbon/ gfo reactor. He will need it some day down the road. And then. That would give him time to think about what size skimmer. This is a addiction he might have a 100 gallon in six months and to small of a skimmer

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok torylee I will say+ 1 on that. In the most part I was going off topic sorry but you get the point you say skimmer first but then skimmer $$$ I just was t in therehinking a cheap light in the sump when he gets it some cheap green stuff in the sump. And get a carbon/ gfo reactor. He will need it some day down the road. And then. That would give him time to think about what size skimmer. This is a addiction he might have a 100 gallon in six months and to small of a skimmer

I would agree with the skimmer first. IMO you dont need reactors to have a healthy reef but a skimmer is a must. You can find used skimmers pretty cheap that would work well. Octopus makes very good skimmers for the price. The reactors with the carbon and gfo could cost just as much as a skimmer

bob

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sounds like a bacterial bloom to me..... i would get a skimmer first and foremost...;) you could try changing like 5 percent of the water and see if it helps but if your still cycling it would slow it down... i would start dosing microbacter 7 its a nitrifiying bacteria and would help greatly here....

I agree it’s a bacteria bloom... Especially since the tank is young.

Bacteria blooms are common in new tanks and will go away by themselves.. You should not have coral in your tank yet it is too new. Bacteria blooms will not hurt anything but without a skimmer they could deplete or lower the oxygen levels which could be dangerous..

Dave Polzin

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back