Clown fish with puffers???

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to kinda preplan the fish I Going to have in my aquarium once it's set up and all, an I was reading on a clownfish (Ofcorse the otay fish everyone wants is a nemo lol ) and it said they could be put in with puffer fish, but I was doing research on puffers before and it said they were really really aggressive, I have a 40 gallon, and am doing a reef. Could I keep a puffer fish also?? I don't want a fish that's really going to limit the community I can have in my tank, but a puffer would be awesome! All I need to know is if they will go good with a clown fish, and if that will limit the other type of fish I can put in.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most puffers will eat coral, shrimp, crabs, clams and such, but get along with fish. I have a valentini puffer and he gets along with all the fish he's ever been with and hasn't eaten the zoa colony I put in there. I also have a smooth toadfish who doesn't bother other fish he could easily eat :)
Pretty much any of the canthigaster species would be happy in a 40, but most others grow far too big and quick to have even short term in a 40.
As for corals and inverts, it depends on the individual as opposed to the species, but most will nip at the very least.
They are fish safe, but most will not be reef safe unfortunately.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the puffer....but most will consume inverts and leave fish alone (unless it's small enough to fit in their mouth....rule of thumb, of course). Just don't attempt to mix puffers.

And agreed, The tobies (canthigasters (sp?)) would be OK probably, but most of the others would be far too big.
I did have a green spotted puffer and it would fit fine, but you have to acclimate them to saltwater over a matter of months. They also can be quite aggressive, though mine was the live-and-let-live type.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyler, I'm the kind of person who likes a bunch of small fish rather than just a few big ones anyways lol when I was lookin before it was for a 30 gallon fresh water, and I found a dwarf spotted one, but my guy at the LFS said that's it's not the best idea to mix them in with many other fish. But thank both of you for your info!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't go wrong if you decide on a canthigaster puffer if you want smaller fish :) They become less like fish and more like pets. Definitely the stand out fish in my tank. Just don't get too attached to your CUC lol.

OP
OP
A

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really?? I use well water, I treat it for sulphur which I've found is about the only thing that would effect the fish, but it still makes more algae than normal, defiantly need a CUC, but do you think the skimmer would help with the algae control at all?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They love to eat snails and shrimp. Mine picks at snails when he's teeth grow too long. The shells help wear them down :)
The way a skimmer reduces algae is by removing organic waste, stuff like fish poo and uneaten food, before it can rot and turn into nitrates and phosphates which fuel the algae. It can also help removing free floating algae tufts that a fish or something shakes loose before it can settle and begin growing in a new spot. If the only reason for your algae is chemical related, a skimmer won't do a whole lot to help, it may help a little though. A skimmer is always good to have anyway, especially if you plan on keeping puffers and other messy fish.
You won't need a huge CUC for a 40gal. Most people stock hundreds of snails into small tanks then wonder why most are dead a month later, stock your CUC lightly and you'll have better success and save a bit of money too :)

OP
OP
A

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usualy stock light, for my fresh waters I have sucker fish, I have a snail in one because he's cute lol. Ik I need a sulphur cure, but I'm not sure what else, I'll have to figure all that out in testing, but the more I look into puffers the less I think it's a good idea. I really want one, but it seems like it's a lot of trouble. Thanks so much for your help!!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usualy stock light, for my fresh waters I have sucker fish, I have a snail in one because he's cute lol. Ik I need a sulphur cure, but I'm not sure what else, I'll have to figure all that out in testing, but the more I look into puffers the less I think it's a good idea. I really want one, but it seems like it's a lot of trouble. Thanks so much for your help!!

Do you have access to RO or RO/DI water? It will be one of the best things for you at the moment.
They're no trouble at all! Mine isn't anyway lol. I found they're just as easy or even easier to look after than clowns.
No worries :)

OP
OP
A

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I do, somewhere. But I'm 16, and all of this is minimum wage from nannying, or 50$ for a house cleaning. So it's kinda tight especially after the skimmer Im gunna get, I had just planned on getting some treatments for whatever tests positive in it.

KeystoneAq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue spot puffer in my 135gallon. It's a mixed reef tank and has a pair of mature clowns, pair of mandarins and lots of snails and shrimp. So far he hasn't bother with anything. Not the corals or inverts and gets along well with all of the fish.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407378208.966657.jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise you get good water from the get go. With good water, you can get by without a skimmer for a time if you do regular water changes and have a light bioload. You can buy at least RO water from a machine at wally world or buy their distilled water (an even better option). You're going to want to have good water to keep any corals down the road. It will save you so much hassle in terms of reducing nutrients that cause algae.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise you get good water from the get go. With good water, you can get by without a skimmer for a time if you do regular water changes and have a light bioload. You can buy at least RO water from a machine at wally world or buy their distilled water (an even better option). You're going to want to have good water to keep any corals down the road. It will save you so much hassle in terms of reducing nutrients that cause algae.

I agree. Because money is tight I would also suggest getting RO water over a skimmer. It's better to have clean water from the start instead of trying to fix bad water.
Don't let the cost of things deter you from the hobby though. I was living on $50 a week when I started my reef so I know how hard it is lol.

OP
OP
A

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could use the machine at farm fresh or walmart? Cost is an issue, but not THAT much, the bigger problem is biweekly pay so I just get super excited then can't get anything I need

KeystoneAq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to know for sure is to have a sample of the water tested for dissolved solids. I know the Home Depot here in canada does water tests for free( they don't need to know why you're doing it!).

OP
OP
A

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided just to go to the Naval Annex and get water from the dispenser thingy, cheaper than at Walmart and everywhere else.

KeystoneAq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's still cheaper to get an RO filter for home. You can get them fairly cheap on amazon/eBay and it will save you money in the long run. Not including water changed I use about five gallons per week to top up my 55 gallon and I have lost track of what I use for top up on the other systems. RO water from my lfs is $1/gallon plus tax.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back