OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do raised spots on the fish with little black spots/specs (imagine mold) sound like anything?

This is only really visible when using a magnifying glass...I am waiting for the MB (arriving tomorrow) he is still hanging on but did not eat and isn't very active (resting a lot)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I'm starting to see some white stuff ..just barely.

I can't get a good picture but I tried...the previously mentioned black spot's can still be seen through the magnifying glass but not very well on camera (if you look closely you'll see blurred small black specs toward the front)

(no glass in the way in this pic)

IMG_20170521_213416.jpg

Last edited:

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything humblefish tells you, please listen and follow his directions to the T. hes also helping me through a headscratcher with my clown. and i cant thank him enough. good luck and ill be reading to see how it goes ! this place is amazing with all the knowledge and info. and us noobs dont get the cold shoulder like some other forums. melypr1985 knows her **** too. lol

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like maybe brooklynella again :/ did you break down the QT between and sterilize? How are the two surviving fish holding up in the DT? I'm wondering if the survivors didn't just develop immunity and the brook is still hanging around in the QT

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like maybe brooklynella again :/ did you break down the QT between and sterilize? How are the two surviving fish holding up in the DT? I'm wondering if the survivors didn't just develop immunity and the brook is still hanging around in the QT

That's what I was worried about..I didn't sterilize it because I thought it had been long enough since the last day of infection :-/ and I didn't want to nuke the bio filter.

The hawk fish and purple firefish survivors are doing great in the DT ..they never displayed symptoms though..even when others were dropping around them.

One thing to add is there is a six line wrasse with him in qt that is doing great

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my concern...the other two fish developed immunity and are now "carriers" of the parasite. Meaning they allow the parasite just enough opportunity to continue completing its life cycle unnoticed. If they weren't treated thoroughly and then released into the DT, you could have actually reintroduced it and nulled the fallow period:(

My advice is to treat ALL your fish using a 75-90 minute bath in ruby reef rally (acriflavine, it's milder than formalin and not a carcinogen). During that time, I would break down the QT, give it a good vinegar scrub and thorough rinse, and refill with fresh saltwater. Then, follow-up with a 10 day treatment of metroplex and another 6 weeks of fallow time in DT.

I'm sorry, I know it's a pain, but without full treatment you risk re-infection with any new fish you add. It would be a shame to do all the work of QT, just to have them catch brook in the DT...

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my concern...the other two fish developed immunity and are now "carriers" of the parasite. Meaning they allow the parasite just enough opportunity to continue completing its life cycle unnoticed. If they weren't treated thoroughly and then released into the DT, you could have actually reintroduced it and nulled the fallow period:(

My advice is to treat ALL your fish using a 75-90 minute bath in ruby reef rally (acriflavine, it's milder than formalin and not a carcinogen). During that time, I would break down the QT, give it a good vinegar scrub and thorough rinse, and refill with fresh saltwater. Then, follow-up with a 10 day treatment of metroplex and another 6 weeks of fallow time in DT.

I'm sorry, I know it's a pain, but without full treatment you risk re-infection with any new fish you add. It would be a shame to do all the work of QT, just to have them catch brook in the DT...
Yeah I came across some old threads in my search and this is what I was really scared of.... what are the odds of the wrasse being immune too though?

Is there a reason why you wouldn't use formalin at this point? I wasn't able to get a hold of it the first time and I still don't have it (waiting on the mail... from the one place online I found it) but it is on it's way.

I just got the MB this morning...maybe I'm being hopeful but I'll give it a shot unless there's a reason I shouldn't at this point?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The methylene blue might help with infection or shipping stress, but it won't help with brook. Formalin baths do cure it, but they need to be followed with a completely sterile QT and sometimes you need more than one dip.

With acriflavine, you should follow up with metroplex to make sure it's gone, but it is easier on the fish and a little more margin for error with cleaning the QT/equipment.

That's just my opinion though, whichever method works for you! I would just make sure it's done completely.

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MB would just to see if I get lucky and it's not Brook (based off the previous recommendation, which was based off the one that did die having no signs of brook at all)

He looks about the same today still hanging out in the same spot...nothing new on him.

Thanks! I see seachem metroplex but what product do you use for acriflavine?

*Edit nevermind I forgot you mentioned ruby reef rally.

thanks again.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MB would just to see if I get lucky and it's not Brook (based off the previous recommendation, which was based off the one that did die having no signs of brook at all)

He looks about the same today still hanging out in the same spot...nothing new on him.

Thanks! I see seachem metroplex but what product do you use for acriflavine?

Yes, exactly. If it is brook, you'll know soon enough:/

I personally use Ruby Reef Rally, works well for me.

Oh, and if it gets worse before you can get the medications... a fresh water dip could possibly buy you time. If all you have is formalin at that point, I would use it.

Good luck! Hoping for the best

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Brook would an all of the above option be okay?

I mean Ruby Reef Rally then Metro plex then formalin either at the end of metro plex or just prior to going back in the DT after 72 days.

I just need this to be over with!

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far, I really appreciate it..this is a great site/community.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could. I personally would just do one or the other, to do both would just be overkill and more stressful for the fish.

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could. I personally would just do one or the other, to do both would just be overkill and more stressful for the fish.
Okay, It's probably just fed up me...maybe I'll do it right before putting them back in the DT...we'll see.

For now I just did the MB dip...wish me luck.

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB seems to have had no affect.

So one more question...I hate to sound lazy but can the whole qt just be treated with Ruby reef rally? Life is crazy right now (4 month old baby) on top of this issue so I would like to save the bio filter if possible...I just don't want to fall behind on wc when ammonia spikes

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/
This is good to have, I printed it out for reference. Should help you
Thanks! Yes I wish I would have purchased all of those and had them on hand..instead I have to either get really lucky locally and pay triple the price or hope it's on prime next day or same day...

I looked through it and at this point I have most of that list already on its way but taking it's sweet time....

I will make sure I have everything on that list soon.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB seems to have had no affect.

So one more question...I hate to sound lazy but can the whole qt just be treated with Ruby reef rally? Life is crazy right now (4 month old baby) on top of this issue so I would like to save the bio filter if possible...I just don't want to fall behind on wc when ammonia spikes

Hey I get the crazy right now! I remember having a 4 month old and it's not easy to deal with baby, house, work and a tank! Still though, to do this right, you gotta do the rally in a dip and sterilize the QT before putting all the fish in there. 6 weeks fallow for the display and metroplex in the QT after the dip. Best of luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back