Clownfish breeding project

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a simple clownfish breeding project. It will consist of a 20 gallon long with a divider in the middle to house 2 pairs. This will be plumbed to a 10 gallon sump to hold equipment. This will be my first attempt to drill and plumb a tank. I've got a few pieces so far and I'll post more as I get them :) any advice/critiques welcomed!

(I'll announce the variety and show off my pairs when they arrive ;))

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7774.JPG

Still need ....
10 gallon for my sump kit.
RTV 108 for installing baffles, divider, and overflow is on order.
Plumbing parts.
Skimmer to fit the small sump.
Flower pot for each pair.
Siporax for biofilter is on order.

Any lighting suggestions? Something cheap with moonlight programmed.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only items left to purchase...

Light setup
Skimmer
10 gallon tank
Flower pots
Plumbing parts

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the stand. What type of clowns are you going to get? Are you buying bonded or breeding pairs?

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the stand. What type of clowns are you going to get? Are you buying bonded or breeding pairs?

Thanks! It was my first attempt to try and make a nice looking one as opposed to my usual uglies! I ordered 2 bonded pairs of Black Leopards from Pieces of the Ocean. I'm so excited! This is my first attempt at all of this.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to go crazy with the lights. All you need to do is illuminate the tank. Save your money and buy something used and inexpensive. It's fun to whatch them grow and develop from tiny specs to something resembling a clown. There is a learning curve so don't get discouraged if it take a few clutches before you figure things out. Just remember water quality for your fry is paramount, most of the defects you see are caused from poor water quality.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It was my first attempt to try and make a nice looking one as opposed to my usual uglies! I ordered 2 bonded pairs of Black Leopards from Pieces of the Ocean. I'm so excited! This is my first attempt at all of this.

Well DANG, those are sweet, I am seriously jealous.
I just set up a tank to breed Lightings so I will definitely be following.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along!
For lighting some t5 fixtures have built in moonlights or I bet you could find a cheap led on craigslist.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those black leopards are nice. I'm trying to downsizing my broodstock but still I was tempted when I saw them. Can't wait to see pics.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to go crazy with the lights. All you need to do is illuminate the tank. Save your money and buy something used and inexpensive. It's fun to whatch them grow and develop from tiny specs to something resembling a clown. There is a learning curve so don't get discouraged if it take a few clutches before you figure things out. Just remember water quality for your fry is paramount, most of the defects you see are caused from poor water quality.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Ill keep my eyes out for a used light. Is the moonlight important for breeding? I figured it may help.
Those black leopards are nice. I'm trying to downsizing my broodstock but still I was tempted when I saw them. Can't wait to see pics.
I can't wait to receive them! I saw them and instinct took over. Next thing I knew, I had a project on my hands.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if moonlight is important, it might depend on the quality and how well it replicates the natural moon cycles, but I haven't really done any research into it.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read somewhere that if they get a replicate of the actual moon cycle, it would help. But my pair never had the moon cycle and they mated and layeggs like clock work. I know quite a few old timers with stable tanks and just normal lighting and their fish spawn all the time as well. So, I really not sure how important the moonlight is.

Again, like other mentioned, minimal lighting for the fish is good enough.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm pretty sure people were breeding Clownfish before fancy moonlights became a thing, but it might still help somehow. Who knows?

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you bred clowns before? What size tank are you using?

I always use 10g tank since they are cheap. :) I moved my pair to a 10g after they started spawning consistently like clock work. It was easier for me to collect the flies.

For the larvae tank, before they are 3-4 weeks old, I also use 10g tanks. One 10g for each batch. It didn't take long to fill up my entire garage with 10g tanks. lol

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the advice so far! I will keep you updated on the progress!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moon lights are completely unnecessary. Higher temps, lower salinity, longer light cycle, and most importantly heavy feeding will get you clowns breeding. My advice is read every thread you find, taking a little from each and figure out what works for you.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cannot source a simple 10 gallon tank locally that fits my sump kit I purchased...am I asking for major trouble if I install the baffles at an angle? I'm not sure what effect that will have on water flow if any.

Or should I just run the sump as an empty tank underneath with no baffles. Just Filter sock, skimmer, heater, ATO, and return? Will I have any issues doing this?

I suppose the main concern will be can I keep the water level sufficient for skimmer, heater, and return to opporate properly.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back