Clownfish breeding project

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some sump before to have the baffles at an angle. It works perfectly fine. Is that for the grow out tank?

For rearing tank before the metamorphosis, just a single tank with small circulation generated by large air bubbles will do.

Notice the air bubbles. That's all they get:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some sump before to have the baffles at an angle. It works perfectly fine. Is that for the grow out tank?

For rearing tank before the metamorphosis, you can't use any pumps. Just a single tank with small circulation generated by large air bubbles.

LarvaeTank.jpg

This is for the breeding tank. A pair on either side of the 20 long and the 10g sump underneath.

IMG_7896.JPG

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For rearing tank before the metamorphosis, just a single tank with small circulation generated by large air bubbles will do.

This is the cutest thing in the whole world? What species?

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be better off with no baffles? Just an open tank to hold equipment and siporax?

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be better off with no baffles? Just an open tank to hold equipment and siporax?

I'm more concern how you get the sump to work for your breeding tank. Larvae are very tiny and quite delicate. What do you have in mind to have a sump? What is the purpose of it?

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more concern how you get the sump to work for your breeding tank. Larvae are very tiny and quite delicate. What do you have in mind to have a sump? What is the purpose of it?
I had planned to remove the flower pot with eggs when they are ready to hatch and place in a 10g tank with sponge filter. Then set it up with light and green water

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. So the sump is really just for the the tank before the eggs are hatched? That should be fine then.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut the baffles. They are acrylic right? Easy peezy.
Maybe, I'm not sure what I have to cut it with. Maybe a dremel wheel?

Oh I see. So the sump is really just for the the tank before the eggs are hatched? That should be fine then.
Yes that was my plan. I saw this method in a google search. Seemed to work well for them.

reef heaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, I'm not sure what I have to cut it with. Maybe a dremel wheel?

Yes that was my plan. I saw this method in a google search. Seemed to work well for them.
Do you have a table saw maybe? I dont know much on power tools lol. I had my friend trim some down for me before for similar baffles. No issues.

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. My black ice snowflakes just laid eggs the first time in my big tank and breeding them just crossed my mind!

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7900.JPG
So I just rolled with what I had and made the best of it. Couldn't find my dremel to try and trim the baffles. Here is my first edition angled sump!

WestOhooligan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice sump!

So with most of clowns all being captive bred these days, a lot of the old wisdoms and anecdotal things no longer apply. Used to be dropping salinity and increasing lighting was to induce spawning, but these fish will pretty much spawn no matter what as long as they are old enough to do it. Captive clowns lose a lot of their wild instincts so its easier these days than it used to be.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7905.JPG
10 gallons doesn't sound like much...until it's on your floor. Note to self, make sure return pump can handle water from overflow. I need to make some adjustments. Definately my first time trying to plumb something. WHAT A MESS

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back