Clownfish died

mushrommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened, he was perfectly fine a few moments ago eating and swimming but then he started floating and twitching and then died. Im very sad. What happened and will it affect my female clownfish.

IMG20230704150044.jpg

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very sorry. I am not a fish expert, but hope I can help you get answers. It will help if you know what your water chemistry is as well, as some people may ask.

#fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What happened, he was perfectly fine a few moments ago eating and swimming but then he started floating and twitching and then died. Im very sad. What happened and will it affect my female clownfish.

IMG20230704150044.jpg
Possible impact damage from collision with tank or other object or shock either from ammonia spike or ?

OP
OP
M

mushrommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry any back story we can go off of to help?
I was turning on the flow after feeding and then I see him floating around so I tried to grab him and he reacted then started twitching and died. I'm sad and I read that my female could go into depression. I'm so sad. Thanks for the kind message.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you actually turn off the power heads? If so there is a fair chance he could have got Blenny Blendered.

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was turning on the flow after feeding and then I see him floating around so I tried to grab him and he reacted then started twitching and died. I'm sad and I read that my female could go into depression. I'm so sad. Thanks for the kind message.
Are you 100 percent sure it’s dead. Sometimes clowns act weird.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a live and learn but that’s why you never turn off power heads. Even feedmode keeps them moving. On my tanks after a power failure the closed circuit pumps are defaulted to off. Everything in your tank is like a horse… constantly trying to find ways to kill itself.

OP
OP
M

mushrommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a live and learn but that’s why you never turn off power heads. Even feedmode keeps them moving. On my tanks after a power failure the closed circuit pumps are defaulted to off. Everything in your tank is like a horse… constantly trying to find ways to kill itself.
What you mean by it's a live and learn.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really say why the fish died, sorry.

Fish are really good at hiding symptoms of illness or other problems. They do this to avoid predators in the ocean that home in on sick fish. However, the fish can only compensate so much, and then, they can reach a point that they go into shock and die.

Jay

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you just finished feeding right? possibly something in what he ate? Possibly picked up food from the bottom and got something else? from what you described, it seems like he choked or something like that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back