Clownfish Gills look bad, help!

Bella Bredenberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Ocellaris Clowns in a 32g reef tank since about 2 years. The female clown has a weird looking gill, it looks like it is inflamed or something. It appeared about a day or two ago. She is swimming and eating as usual and the doesn't gasp for air. Can someone tell me what it is? I am panicking right now since I've never had sick Marine fish. My first thought was lymphocystis since it looks like mini cottonballs, but isn't lympho like bubbles? It kind of looks a bit like a white/purple/pinkish rash, but that could be the lights.
20181220_134914.jpg
20181220_134852.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Have you noticed any aggression between the clowns? It could be an injury. A bit hard to tell from the pics but if you are seeing discoloration it is a sign of infection.

If Possible could you take a pic with better focus? In any event no need to panic just yet, as long as the fish is eating and swimming well you have some time and we’ll figure out what it is.

OP
OP
B

Bella Bredenberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Have you noticed any aggression between the clowns? It could be an injury. A bit hard to tell from the pics but if you are seeing discoloration it is a sign of infection.

If Possible could you take a pic with better focus? In any event no need to panic just yet, as long as the fish is eating and swimming well you have some time and we’ll figure out what it is.

It is so hard to take a picture, but I can give it another go. No, they sometimes chase each other, but the female is always the chaser. I saw her rub against some live rock, but maybe the ''wound'' itches? Could it be what caused it?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought was lymphocystis since it looks like mini cottonballs, but isn't lympho like bubbles?
Lympho can look like cauliflower, cottonish bumps, either white-ish or grey-ish. What we don't want to see is a white-ish film area forming, especially if it has some color change within like red or black. Do you have something to do a bath with if necessary like Ruby Reef Rally, etc.? Or antibiotics if necessary like Kanaplex, Furan2, Sulfaplex, NFG? All good to have in your fish meds kit, as bacterial infections can move rather quickly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back