Clownfish Locked mouth onto other

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I have a pair of clowns and they have been fine up til now and even sleep with each other. My black clownfish grabbed onto my other ones fin and would not let go for a good 20 seconds. It keeps nipping at him now as well. I noticed that the bullied clown has developed a pale lip and I'm not sure what to do. They have always been fine and were the first fish to add to the tank. I made sure the black one was bigger so that it lowered the chance of two males. What should I do?

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? How long have you had the fish in this tank? Did you buy them at the same time or were they introduced separately? Do you have any other fish in the tank and what size is it?
Tank is a few months old and the bullied clown was the first fish to add. One week later the black came in. The tank is 20 gallon long and it houses a gramma and a firefish. The clown only started to attack the other clown though. The fish have been here a while, like right after it cycled so I'm not 100% sure.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes temp,may have to do a couple of times ,larger is turning female ,

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes temp,may have to do a couple of times ,larger is turning female ,
The black one has always been larger and the bullied one always submits to it by doing that shaking thing. Theyre both still juveniles im sure. They've stopped fighting for now so should I just keep an eye out for now or isolate it asap?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black one has always been larger and the bullied one always submits to it by doing that shaking thing. Theyre both still juveniles im sure. They've stopped fighting for now so should I just keep an eye out for now or isolate it asap?
If you are seeing torn fins etc . . I would try to isolate

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes ,need to separate asap,lip locking,especially fin grabbing will kill ,lil guy

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sick_man you can buy these almost off of every website, probably your best choice if you dont have a QT for one or an extra tank with no clowns in it.
Thanks I know they are fairly cheap but I'm looking for a solution right now and itll take a couple days for it to arrive and i dont want to risk my clown dying within that time

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes ,use a bowl w lid with plenty of holes in it,use someting like chunk of styro to float it,your in chi town,you can find an isolation box/breeder box pretty quick;)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back