Clownfish Strangeness

Redeemed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am fairly new to reefing. I've had a prior saltwater tank 35 years ago or so with a porcupine puffer, moray, lionfish, etc. But I recently started a 36 gallon for a reef tank. Thanks to you all, I have learned a lot.

I bought an Ocellaris juvenile a few weeks ago. I am very careful about what I introduce into my new tank and want only peaceful fish obviously. I have 3 turbos, 3 trochus, 1 conch, fire shrimp, 1 firefish, 2 cardinals and the clown. It was getting more difficult trying to find 1 or 2 more fish to complete everything. Well, I made a tough decision to get another clown.

I know that this is usually a bad idea but I went and got another one. I stayed away from the tomatos and maroons. I decided what I thought was a bigger clown and bought a DaVinci. When I got him home, turns out I made the mistake of buying one the exact same size as the original Ocellaris. They fought almost immediately for well over an hour. Finally, the new clown won and took over the current spot my original was in. I was a bit saddened. So I put up a mirror and went to bed.

Well the next day, I looked in the tank and my original now took over his spot and chased the newcomer throughout the day. I looked in the tank later in the day and all of a sudden they were twitching back and forth with each other and became friends all of a sudden. How in the world did this happen so fast? I was already trying to rehome the DaVinci and then they spent the afternoon and evening never leaving each others side.

This morning, they are back to being on opposite sides of the tank so I don't think they are paired. With that much "pairing" behavior, I don't think they will be aggressive any more to each other but they can't be paired if they are on opposite sides and not sticking together currently. What is going on?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are grown and not juveniles then you have a 50/50 chance of getting a male/female pair. If not then let the battles begin.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 61 29.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back