Clownfish With Inflamed Gills, and Discoloration on head

Kelstofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I thought I posted this already but I don’t see it SO, try again

I added two clowns to my tank on Saturday, it’s a new tank but parameters were all fine (I’ve been checking them weekly since set up/adding bacteria the whole thing)

Today, it’s still testing fine

One of my clowns has one inflamed gill, he has this at the store and I didn’t notice until he was in my tank. Like the second I put him in Saturday I went “hmm, his gill looks weird”

Other than it visibly being inflamed he seems overall fine

This morning I noticed some discoloration on the white stripe on his head, but him and the other clown have been fighting (he has some tears in his fins as well from this fighting which I’m concerned about) they’ve been doing “the twitch” so I don’t think I need to be worried about the fighting

I’m just wondering if I need to be treating him for this gill, and now the discoloration on his head or if he’s fine

He’s eating fine, swimming fine. He was “stuck” in the spot he’s in, in the video for a while 24hrs but he’s since explored the tank just fine. I think he’s chosen that as his tank location. But overall he seems perfectly fine just worried about the gills

Parameters are all testing as they should, I’ve been adding prime as well just to be safe

The only things in the tank are the two clowns, and a royal gamma

Also before anyone says it, I know I need to remove the plastic decoration
And the colored pieces are seaglass so it’s fine. This is a shared tank with my family so we all chose something to decorate with, just haven’t broke the news to them that scuba Steve’s gotta go

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Your other attempt to post this did go through (I'll link this thread in that one so we can keep all the info together), but let's see if we can't get you some help here - #fishmedic
Also, I know you mentioned that your parameters are testing fine, but would you mind listing them all out here for us anyway? It helps to ensure everyone is on the same page about tank conditions.

Edit: Also, for future use (don't worry about it this time), posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster in cases of disease, injury, etc.:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kelstofer

Kelstofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Your other attempt to post this did go through (I'll link this thread in that one so we can keep all the info together), but let's see if we can't get you some help here - #fishmedic
Also, I know you mentioned that your parameters are testing fine, but would you mind listing them all out here for us anyway? It helps to ensure everyone is on the same page about tank conditions.
Thank you :) I literally couldn’t find it

As of last night this was what they tested at;
Salinity- 1.025
Ph-7
Nitrite-0.1
Nitrate-50
My ammonia test is not accurate I need to get a new kit the color never actually matches the chart in any way but I have a seachem ammonia alert in the tank which says it’s a safe level

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back