Clubs near south jersey and sump set up.

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m just wondering if there are any reef clubs or frag swaps near south New Jersey. Second part is I have came a long way with the help of you guys responding to my threads in the beginning and tons of research. I have a forty breeder and I’m looking into a cabinet stand. Also want to get an official sump set up for it with the new stand. Tank is not drilled so I was thinking of the eshopps pf 1000 and trigger 34 sump. I have a sump and hob overflow on my other forty breeder in my room but that was a test run and I have a 20 gallon sump I got from marketplace and return and drain lines are flex tubing. Any thought or ideas would be appreciated. I also want to get better lighting for the new set up I’m running a duel t5 48 inch fixture with blue plus and purple plus.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m just wondering if there are any reef clubs or frag swaps near south New Jersey. Second part is I have came a long way with the help of you guys responding to my threads in the beginning and tons of research. I have a forty breeder and I’m looking into a cabinet stand. Also want to get an official sump set up for it with the new stand. Tank is not drilled so I was thinking of the eshopps pf 1000 and trigger 34 sump. I have a sump and hob overflow on my other forty breeder in my room but that was a test run and I have a 20 gallon sump I got from marketplace and return and drain lines are flex tubing. Any thought or ideas would be appreciated. I also want to get better lighting for the new set up I’m running a duel t5 48 inch fixture with blue plus and purple plus.

Hey bud,

I recently moved to south jersey (Manahawkin). Been reefing a long time. As far as I know, there’s no club down here. Not too many shops either. Closest place to get a decent frag is called Reefhab romance. NJreefers has its own discussion forum, it’s fairly active. Good place to meet some new hobbyists.
I’m not too sure on lighting choices for your tank. Budget really is the deciding factor. You’re not selling yourself short with t5 though. I would reconsider using a hob overflow. It’s been a long time since I used one of those, but I remember that they liked to fail. The siphon would routinely fail and the return pump keeps putting water from your sump into your display . Not fun.
I would either attempt drilling it with overflow kit, or buy reef ready setup. Just makes things more fail safe. Reefing is no fun when it floods .
If you’re close by, stop on by. I’ll show you what a reefing addiction does to you

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud,

I recently moved to south jersey (Manahawkin). Been reefing a long time. As far as I know, there’s no club down here. Not too many shops either. Closest place to get a decent frag is called Reefhab romance. NJreefers has its own discussion forum, it’s fairly active. Good place to meet some new hobbyists.
I’m not too sure on lighting choices for your tank. Budget really is the deciding factor. You’re not selling yourself short with t5 though. I would reconsider using a hob overflow. It’s been a long time since I used one of those, but I remember that they liked to fail. The siphon would routinely fail and the return pump keeps putting water from your sump into your display . Not fun.
I would either attempt drilling it with overflow kit, or buy reef ready setup. Just makes things more fail safe. Reefing is no fun when it floods .
If you’re close by, stop on by. I’ll show you what a reefing addiction does to you
Where are you at in SJ that you say there’s no shops?
I’m in Camden county by Philly and there’s easily over a dozen within an hour of me. Granted a lot are in Pa Right over the border but still not a far drive.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Camden county by Philly and there’s easily over a dozen within an hour of me. Granted a lot are in Pa Right over the border but still not a far drive.
The only shop I know of near me is tsa aquatics. I’m in marlton. Not to far from pa. But I’m more so interested in clubs and swaps. I’m open to travel a little for some good shops as well though.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud,

I have heard of that happening as well. I was also thinking about getting a bit bigger of a tank and buying it reef ready so I can turn my current tank into a sump. But space is not on my side. I feel like I don’t have much control of my lighting and the corals don’t pop with the t5s. I have two primes on my other 40 and the color is just so much better and I feel the coral do so much better. I’m not opposed to add a led just to add more blue in addition to the t5. I’m in marlton and shoot I can only imagine what reall addiction to the reef looks like cause I been feening.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only shop I know of near me is tsa aquatics. I’m in marlton. Not to far from pa. But I’m more so interested in clubs and swaps. I’m open to travel a little for some good shops as well though.
I’m guessing you mean TSM?
they are great, we get all our fish there.

Aquarium Center in Blackwood is our other local store, we get lots of inverts and food and stuff there.

There’s not really any real clubs but there’s a bunch of local Facebook groups that do have things like drag swaps a couple times a year. SE PA Reefers is the main one around Philly.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing you mean TSM?
they are great, we get all our fish there.

Aquarium Center in Blackwood is our other local store, we get lots of inverts and food and stuff there.

There’s not really any real clubs but there’s a bunch of local Facebook groups that do have things like drag swaps a couple times a year. SE PA Reefers is the main one around Philly.
lol yesss tsm thank you I’m half asleep trying to get my life together. I have gotten coral from them when I lived in ny and had it shipped great quality and great customer service. The added hours are good but it’s hard to get there due to work and my kids situation. I will keep and eye out for those and maybe take a trip to Philly and see what’s up.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im on the east coast in Manahawkin. I've been to Aquarium Center in Blackwood. It's like 65 miles from me. Not a bad drive but I don't consider it close. What shop would you recommend for SPS corals?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on the east coast in Manahawkin. I've been to Aquarium Center in Blackwood. It's like 65 miles from me. Not a bad drive but I don't consider it close. What shop would you recommend for SPS corals?
I don’t really do much SPS anymore. I used to keep a 90G full Acro system, but it’s way too much work testing and dosing and all that…
I only keep easy bombproof stuff now. My tanks full of Euphyllia and LPS colonies now with a few random montis or other things. Not really any local places I’d buy acros.

For SPS, my suggestion would be @Battlecorals their stuff is top quality, with great prices and decent sized frags.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the closer to the shore the farther away from reef stores you get unfortunately. My father in law lives down in Lower township, it’s like going to the boonies :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back