CO2 Scrubber Testing

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running the media dry is pretty much a waste. I got just about 10 days out of it.

Running with water in the reactor and pulling normal ambient air lasted just over 30 days.

Running out of the skimmer cup and the media has lasted just about 50 days, so a significant improvement in longevity and without looking at the logs I'm pretty sure the average pH has also increased over time.

Not planning on productizing this and can share some of the specs and code as well as some 3D designs for the enclosures. I can change some things so its Arduino friendly for the average hobbiest.

That's cool for those of us that like to tinker (better messing with the gadgets than the tank, lol).

I need to connect mine to my skimmer so I can get anywhere near 50 days. I get 7-10 days.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to test with outside air vs skimmer air. Would it be possible for me to rent your sensor?

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to test with outside air vs skimmer air. Would it be possible for me to rent your sensor?

Let me see what I can do. I only have the one setup currently made and its pretty much a part of the scrubber at this point.

I'll update the data today. Apex data queries are probably the slowest xml data queries on the planet.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been watching this thread and want to thank you @JDowns for sharing your results it has proved invaluable as I am now buying a scrubber to raise my PH, been stuck at 7.8.

Also, if you could share your design for the CO2 monitor, I have some arduino's that are sitting idle right now that would love a job. :)

Thanks again for your awesome work!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recirculation test through the skimmer is complete.

Media lasted just about 50 days. If you compare the charts to each other remember that they are the same scale but compressed. So 50 days will look a bit odd when compared to 30 or 10.

Average pH definitely improved, average CO2 reduction improved, and longevity improved.

I was surprised to see that input CO2 levels were as high as they were. Obviously ambient CO2 is still getting into the water via other paths other than the skimmer and is being outgassed. But in previous tests where input CO2 levels would peak upwards of 1200ppm, running through the skimmer seems to buffer against elevated levels.

There is less of an overall decrease percentage, but this is accounted for due to the lower levels of input CO2 and the ability for how much CO2 the media can absorb due to the rate of flow or dwell time.

Dips in pH are due to water changes where the probe was allowed to run dry or the pH of the new water is lower than the pH of the tank. I do all my water changes out of the sump.

Next test, once I get the parts together will be to control via a solenoid valve and a pH probe whether air is drawn from the skimmer or ambient air. I think you can extend the media while limiting the swings in pH and thereby increasing the media longevity. I'm going to aim for a minimum pH of 8.3 (air drawn from the skimmer) and a maximum pH of 8.4 (air drawn from ambient). Using a pH probe much like a temperature probe to control a heater.

It does take a few days for new media to kick in due to being completely dry. I may try putting a damp sponge in a new bag to pre-seed the media with moisture.

Skimmer_Test_CO2_020319.png

Skimmer_Test_Decrease_020319.png

Skimmer_Test_PH_020319.png

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recirculation test through the skimmer is complete.

Media lasted just about 50 days. If you compare the charts to each other remember that they are the same scale but compressed. So 50 days will look a bit odd when compared to 30 or 10.

Average pH definitely improved, average CO2 reduction improved, and longevity improved.

I was surprised to see that input CO2 levels were as high as they were. Obviously ambient CO2 is still getting into the water via other paths other than the skimmer and is being outgassed. But in previous tests where input CO2 levels would peak upwards of 1200ppm, running through the skimmer seems to buffer against elevated levels.

There is less of an overall decrease percentage, but this is accounted for due to the lower levels of input CO2 and the ability for how much CO2 the media can absorb due to the rate of flow or dwell time.

Dips in pH are due to water changes where the probe was allowed to run dry or the pH of the new water is lower than the pH of the tank. I do all my water changes out of the sump.

Next test, once I get the parts together will be to control via a solenoid valve and a pH probe whether air is drawn from the skimmer or ambient air. I think you can extend the media while limiting the swings in pH and thereby increasing the media longevity. I'm going to aim for a minimum pH of 8.3 (air drawn from the skimmer) and a maximum pH of 8.4 (air drawn from ambient). Using a pH probe much like a temperature probe to control a heater.

It does take a few days for new media to kick in due to being completely dry. I may try putting a damp sponge in a new bag to pre-seed the media with moisture.

Skimmer_Test_CO2_020319.png

Skimmer_Test_Decrease_020319.png

Skimmer_Test_PH_020319.png

Awesome. Any pic on how you have the CO2 reactor connected to you skimmer? I have a Reef Octopus Regal 250 SSS INT that I would like to modify so I can extend my media lifetime.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a single view, stretched out, and reduced in size.

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 10.22.02 AM.png

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Any pic on how you have the CO2 reactor connected to you skimmer? I have a Reef Octopus Regal 250 SSS INT that I would like to modify so I can extend my media lifetime.

I'll get a picture here in a bit for you. But pretty much just like Rostato. I just used a John Guest bulkhead for quick connections.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the solenoid valve and pH control. I'll be using a 3-way / 2-position pneumatic valve (MettleAir 3v310-10-DC24) normally closed valve.

Port A will go to the skimmer pump.
Port P to the scrubber. (normally open)
Port R to ambient air. (normally closed)

Then connect to Apex via a 24vdc port.

If pH hits 8.4 turn off the 24vdc port. If pH hits 8.3 turn on the 24vdc port.

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added an automatic neck cleaner to my skimmer so adding the line to the skimmer has gotten pretty tough. Anyone know if it’s posdible to drill the side of the skimmer cup without cracking it?

I worry because it’s rounded

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1/2" John Guest Quick Connect fitting.

IMG_1835.JPG

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added an automatic neck cleaner to my skimmer so adding the line to the skimmer has gotten pretty tough. Anyone know if it’s posdible to drill the side of the skimmer cup without cracking it?

Thats a tough one depending on the actual material. You could start with a small hole say 1/8" and then use a step drill bit very slowly to avoid binding and cracking.

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that what I was thinking but I’m scared to death of cracking it. I’ve currently got three 1/4” airline tubes stuck in the holes between the neck cleaner and the lid. Then those feed into. 3/8” tube. It works, but the smaller tubes get clogged with water and salt creep easily.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity consumption wasn't the purpose of the testing, but since starting the testing, consumption has increased from 2800ml KALK 30/30 Alk/Cal to 2800ml KALK 110/110 Alk/Cal.

There have been to many other variables going on in the tank to try and correlate the increased pH to Alkalinity consumption. Will be interesting to see what results @Bulk Reef Supply comes up with in some of their tests. At the beginning of my tests I had reduced lighting while I was battling a bit of dyno's in the sand. Since then I've pulled pellets and GFO and went to a refugium and my nitrates and phosphates have since balanced out. Once dyno's went away I've been slowly increasing light from an average par of 250 at the top of the tank to 350 par. So the increased lighting will most certainly have an effect on consumption and growth rates.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have drilled the side of my skimmer cup without issue. Just use a drill bit made for plastics and drill SLOWLY to carve the plastic.

Last edited:

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my Jumbo scrubber in my basement and feed my skimmer up through the floor. The intake hose of my scrubber connects into my RODI 60 gallon drum through a small hole I drilled. I'm getting close to three months out of the media this way.

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my Jumbo scrubber in my basement and feed my skimmer up through the floor. The intake hose of my scrubber connects into my RODI 60 gallon drum through a small hole I drilled. I'm getting close to three months out of the media this way.

Hmm. Not a terrible idea to feed the reactor from the top off container.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Am I the only one who has a drop in PH even with a 2 chamber scrubber when the first chamber turns half purple?

If that is the case, would it make sense to add a third to make sure there are no swings?

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one who has a drop in PH even with a 2 chamber scrubber when the first chamber turns half purple?

If that is the case, would it make sense to add a third to make sure there are no swings?

Just replace media a week sooner...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back